We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The final part of our holiday

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
The final part of our holiday

What a fantastic 3 weeks in Madeira we had ...even with the construction work!

I've probably said enough about the construction work but as we left, the Lido road was almost finished and it looked like they'd finally "moved in" on the Beatles boat which had clearly been getting in the way of the construction works in town.

We hired a car for a couple of days and although the weather was mixed we still managed to have a good time. We returned to Poussada dos Vinhaticos in Serra de Agua for lunch, it's so peaceful there. Came back across Paul de Serra but unfortunately it wasn't a clear day so visibility was poor. We stopped off at Cabo Girao and was very impressed with the new viewpoint, we loved looking through the glass platform but it is possible to avoid this and still have a great view. Drove back through the tiered gardens of Estreito de Camara de Lobos where most of the grapes for Madeira wine are grown.

The next day we intended doing a walk in Marecos but it was pouring when we got there. We sat and admired the fantastic scenery through the car window then decided to add it to the "must return" list and headed off instead to Faial for lunch at A Chave. It's always handy having a few places you know you can rely on and the multi-lingual friendly staff there are always so welcoming.

After reading Mike's comments about Sea Born (catamaran) we finally decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a very calm day and was good to see the island from a different viewpoint. Although we weren't as lucky as Mike to see sperm whales, we did see dolphins and a turtle and we will definitely do this trip again.

Being May, the blue jacaranda trees were in full bloom in various places. In town, with the Municipal Gardens in the background, Avenida Arriaga looked very colourful with no hint of the construction work going on in the next street.

Our favourite restaurants this visit: Forte, Brasserie and O'Chefe but also enjoyed Beef and Wines, Istanbul and the ever-reliable Casa Italias. As always, there were many other restaurants we meant to try but ran out of time.

On one of the nights we went to the Forte there was a wedding on with 250 guests. The place looked stunning and as the bride and groom passed the restaurant they dimmed the lights and everyone cheered. A fantastic evening and to cap it all we booked one of the chauffeur driven vintage cars home (this time the Opel, only €8). I'll add a photo of the cars to my review when I post it.

Cafes/bars: as always great outdoor cafes in town in and the Latino musicians really add to the atmosphere in Avenida Arriaga. Further back we loved the chocolate cake at Cafe do Museu (very rich, best to share) and Pastel de Nata (custard cake) at Penha d'Aguia. Even with work going on all round it we visited the Beerhouse several times and in the Lido area we loved Qasbah and the Hole in One pub.

We didn't get one single mosquito bite and I am usually a mossie magnet.

....So had a fantastic time. I know a lot will happen in the long year before our next visit but looking forward to hearing any updates.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The final part of our holiday

So pleased to read your latest report of your holiday .

At last , the Beatles boat is on the move .It made me laugh to watch them working around it .

Glad you enjoyed the catamaran and Cabo Girao .

We also liked the Jacaranda trees , first time for us to see them .

Sounds as though you had a great holiday . Looking forward to your reviews and photos .

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The final part of our holiday

Thanks for the detailed post - we've been to Funchal lots of times now, and keep an eye on the developments on the webcam. You've made me even more excited about going 'home' again for a couple of weeks in September!

You haven't missed much weather-wise here in Blighty!

Have a safe journey home

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The final part of our holiday

Great report

Can't wait to go on Monday now am all ready just need to pack and go

My definite places for my visit, fireworks, the o chefe and hole in one other than that am open minded will go with the flow

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The final part of our holiday

Thanks for your report q_m. I enjoyed reading it. Your visit to the Forte during the wedding sounds absolutely lovely. I'm sure lots of people will keep you updated till your next visit.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The final part of our holiday

As usual QM I enjoyed reading your Trip Report, thanks for posting.

Have great holiday SteveW and Enjoy!

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The final part of our holiday

For some reason it wouldn't let me edit. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews and seeing your pictures.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The final part of our holiday

Enjoyed reading all your updates you sent qm.Try to picture things in my mind when somebody is on holiday sending all the latest news.

Rob..Look forward to your updates next week Steve

"On site..Hole in One"

Edited: 07 June 2013, 19:22
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The final part of our holiday

Hi QM glad you had a great holiday Beatles boat work seems to be on hand but i think it will take time Some lovely cafes i agree my favourite as usual Golden Gate.Like the theatre cafe as well near what was a car showroom no comments about the Ritz except to say i wont be a patron.Plan to go on a jeep safari all going well tomorrow.Tried a cafe next to Marcos new office forget its name but very good.As for the Hole in one dont like it just me like pubs but at home not here.Weather lovely today fireworks tomorrow town busy will watch from hotel maybye all going well will see from a boat next week.Food here in The Cliff Bay excellent as usual hotel the same but full.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The final part of our holiday

Hi Queen_Mary glad you had such a good holiday. Enjoyed reading all your reports while you were there. Love the jacaranda trees in May but going in September this year. Can't wait! Enjoyed the Quasbah on last visit. Will look forward to reading your reviews.

Glad you are also having a good time Bob.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,746 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The final part of our holiday

Welcome home QM. Enjoyed reading your report, sounds like you had a great holiday.

Bob - Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira