We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

For anyone thinking of doing this lovely walk, I'm pleased to say that the last 50 metres or so are now much easier as a stone and cement path has been created. For the past year or so the old path was diverted, and you had to clamber down a bare earth path which was quite difficult in certain conditions.

I walked down from Eira today and although the weather was a bit drizzly we were rewarded with some beautiful rainbows. More good news is that the restaurant opposite the bus stop - Sabores do Curral - which was demolished after a gas explosion, has been rebuilt and is now open again. It's closed Mondays so didn't eat there today, but the building looks really nice with several terraces and is, I think, a good use of EU and other grant money.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

roseandvine, that is great news The weather is a bit 'iffy' today with sun and cloud, so hopefully it didn't spoil your walk too much. Love that walk but haven't done it for a while

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

Thank you for the info Roseandvine .Great to hear that so much is being done to help and encourage tourism .

Enjoy the remainder of your holiday .Would appreciate any further updates .

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

I know what you mean about the last 50 metres roseandvine,If you remember, you put me onto this walk a few years ago.

Its a really pleasant walk with fantastic views.

What would i give to do the walk tomorrow rather than go to work.

Rob

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

Roseandvine: Echoing Mike B's comments, it would be interesting (and appreciated) to hear your thoughts on the seafront works.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

Steve just returned yesterday seafront works are still making a mess of the seafront .Traffic still a problem as you would expect latest news seems to give a date of 2015 for works to finish .Re Porta Santa Maria noise not bad when i was there but only for a short visit so cant really comment .Still think the scale of the works was too big only my view but i know some locals who agree.

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

Thank you Bob.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

Hi, I just got back a few weeks ago. The works seemed to be quieter, but still a bit dusty. You can really see what they are doing starting to take shape.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

Hi,

You can also try Jeep Tours around the island passing by the Nun's Valley. True Spirit has Cliffs & Valleys Jeep Tour from Cabo Girão passing by Curral das Freiras until Campanário (adventuremadeira.com/activities/…).

It's a different way to know Madeira Island passing through hidden places.

Cheers,

Carlos

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
313 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

I think the Nun's Valley has some of the best rainbows in the world. We were on the Eira do Serrado lookout in pouring rain last month, it was midday with the sun right up high. It cast a double rainbow in almost a complete circle down in the valley. Not sure if photos can be posted on TA, certainly not from the iPad app or would try and add one.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eira do Serrado to Nun's Valley

That photo sounds great Andy. Actually, you can post a photo using the iPad app. Just sign in and go to Madeira/Things to do/Eira do Serrado then the Photos tab. Select Add Photo then Use existing photo and you will get a list of your iPad photo folders which you can select from. If you have already written a review the TA team will manually match your photo against that review. If you haven't written a review, I believe the photo will still show up to anyone looking at Visitors photos.....you might need to be patient though as it may take a while for the photo to be published.

Get answers to your questions about Madeira