Madeira, without doubt. An Island with spectacular scenery, very good food, no lager louts, lots of walks, very friendly people and safe to be. It is an Island where you can have an activity holiday or just chill out and enjoy the atmosphere. There are many beautiful gardens to visit. many of them have no entrance charge, some excellent museums and good shopping. Around Funchal there is a very good cheap bus service, numerous taxis and open top tour buses.The weather is normally very reliable and very warm. I will list some sights which will give you some photos of the Island and the kind of things to do. If you click on 'gallery' at the top right of this page you will also be able to see visitors photos. You can also look at 'things to do' click on the small box at the top of the page.
I am sure that you would enjoy a holiday here.Edited: 08 December 2013, 08:26
Yes i agree with Flowercity Madeira is the best place by far .As she says no lager louts lovely scenery and gardens good weather lovely people safe etc i could go on but enough said.
Come to Madeira Island, voted THE BEST ISLAND DESTINATION IN EUROPE.
Madeira is a dream for honeymooners , travelers and more.
Some reasons to come :
1) The Madeira nature is unique in the world
2) Its Climate is very pleasant and pleasant temperature (16 º to 24 º)
3) The hikes
4) The Food... Is probably one of the best places in the world for a good meat dishes and a fabulous fish
5) The Drinks....The Madeira wine and Madeira poncha are very famous worldwide.
6) The Madeira people ....Friendly and helpful.
7) The organization of excursions with very professionals guides
8) Swimming on the sea (water 18 º to 22 º
9) Tropical fruits very good and exotics
10) Flowers, specially packed to take home (Madeira the island of a thousand flowers)
11) Carnival Event (February-March)
12) The Flower Festival
13) The Festival of the Atlantic (June every weekend)
14) Religious festivities in every villages (May to September)
15) Wine Festival (September)
17) New Year's Eve (December 31)
18) Boat trips to see the turtles, the dolphins and whales all year but specially from May to November
19) The famous honey cake (you can keep it during one year)
20) The "Bolo do Caco" with butter of garlic
21) The meat speciality "Espetada" and the Fish speciality "Espada Fillet With banana Flambé
22) The public and private gardens
23) The orchids
24) The Big game fishing
25) The very famous handmade Embroideries
26) The Tapestries (goblins)
27) The wicker baskets and mumbles)
28) The Museums
29) The cable car
30) The old town of Funchal
31) Prego Special with coral beer for a good price
32) Very good hotels , Bed & Breakfast and Madeira Rural Accommodation
33) Very good Tourist apartments
34) Only 3 hours from Paris by plane
35) Only 1:30 minutes by plane from Lisbon
36) 55 minutes by plane from the Canary Islands
37) Diving on the sea
38) Only 3 hours from England
39) Only 2:30 h from Spain
40) Only 1:40 h from Azores
41) Only 120 -130 £ P/Day for 2 Pax in a good 5* Hotel in B&B
42) Only 40 -50 £ P/Day in a good Self-catering touristic apartment
43) Safe place to walk and for holidays
44) Levada walk
48) Toboggan ride
49) Folk dance
50) Night life
51) Funchal its Monuments
52) Madeira the most desired Harbour for Cruise Ships.
53) Only 15 minutes by plane to Porto Santo and 2:30 h by boat
Been to Marbaya!!
Nothing there.Maybe if you ask on that forum you can then compare.
Madeira is greener and milder than Marbella, despite being southward - Madeira is an Atlantic Island whereas Marbella is by the western Mediterranean Sea.
Imagine a rugged volcanic island 600 kms westward of the coast of Perth, Australia. If such island existed it would be just like Madeira. It would get a great deal of moister from the Southern Indian Ocean, making it a very green island with plenty of plants and flowers as well as with very mild to warm temperatures.
For Marbella, you can imagine any (expensive and up market) town by an imaginary inner sea anywhere inside the southern part of Australia, with arid climate and baking hot summer temperatures.
Hope you can get an idea.
Thanks everyone - you have convinced me!!!
I have decided to visit MADEIRA
-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-
This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.
To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html
We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.