We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel?

We're considering a one week holiday in Madeira at the end of Sept. Ideally we'd like a 4* hotel that isn't kids oriented and is within a 10-15 min of restaurants. Budget is about £1.6k total for two people on B&B (incl. flights). The Porto Bay Santa Maria looks nice, and we're in the Porto Bay club thing which gets us a discount at hotels in this chain.

Any recommendations welcome!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

Porto Santa Maria is an excellent hotel in the Old Town, easy short walk to shops and city centre. Porto Mare, Eden Mar and Residence are all one complex, very good and you can use all three hotel's facilities. In the centre of the Lido area, they have a courtesy bus into the city but tere are also very good local transport and taxis. Many very good restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets with nice coastal walk very close by. End of September is unlikely to have many children, Portugese hols are August as are mainland people. There are reviews here on TA, but any one of these are excellent. If you go to the '0hotels' tab at the top of the page and you can search reviews, which may help.

A beautiful Island, I'm sure you will enjoy a holiday here, lots to do or a great place to chill out - suits everyone.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

Porto Santa Maria seems a good choice i believe adults only at the hotel anyway have a nice time.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

I have stayed at PSM twice and would go back again any time. You have a multitude of restaurants within 10-15 seconds of the hotel and it`s a flat walk into the city centre. Also very close to the cablecar. B&B is a good option - the breakfasts are excellent, with a wide choice and there`s the option of sitting out on the terrace to eat. I have found the beds to be very comfy and even the 'ordinary' rooms have a kitchette with fridge, kettle, two rings, plenty of crockery, cutlery and glassware. The staff are excellent and the whole place is very clean and well-kept. Also there`s an excellent roof terrace. The pool area is also well kept and a pleasant place for lunch or a drink. Being a child-free hotel makes this a more relaxing experience (in my opinion).

Are you aware of the ongoing sea-front works in Funchal? Some people have found this disturbing at PSM, many others have not been bothered. Also, it`s best to book a sea-view room rather than a garden view (due to night-time noise). Higher rooms have better views.

Caroline

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

The works have moved along from PSM and there is a nice area in front of the Hotel.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

I agree , I think the Porto Santa Maria would suit you and would be within your budget for a one week holiday especially with the Porto Bay Prestige Club discounts , 10% for blue card members and 15% for gold card members .

The Porto Bay Group are excellent whichever you choose and as you are planning a trip at the end of September , I doubt whether there will be many if any children about in any of their hotels at that time .Our favourite is the Porto Mare Complex , mainly because of their fantastic gardens .

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks for all the replies. PBSM is looking like a good option, especially if it's a flat walk into town as that'll be easier for my wife. Just need to check if we can get a saturday flight as that's one limitation for our autumn holiday this year.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel?

For flight try TAP who fly from either Gatwick or Heathrow, depending on the season,even if you have to go through Lisbon they fly every day to Madeira

8. Re: Which hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Madeira