We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira in June

Torshavn
Level Contributor
513 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira in June

How busy (in terms of turist numbers) is Madeira in June?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira in June

On average 100.000 tourists per month. I dont think in June a lot more but the weekly fireworks will atttract many, All year round there are busy places and places where you dont find anyone. When cruisehips come in, it will be more crowded also, of course but I never experienced Madeira as really overcrowded.

To give you an idea: when I went to Ponta de Sao Lourenco in January (Baia d'Abra) there were 70 cars on the parking lot. Many years ago I saw nobody.

And a walk like "Paradise valley" was hugely crowded lately (despite being fairly uninteresting).

Edited: 23 April 2014, 17:46
Torshavn
Level Contributor
513 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira in June

Thank you, good to know. I usually prefer to travel when there are less people, I started disliking big crowds (even if I am big town woman, but I guess so many years of living on a small island took their "toll").

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira in June

I, like dutchguy, have never really experienced Madeira overcrowded. So far as June is concerned, I have only been at the tail end of June into July. Have heard it said that cloud can persist during much of June (and that May weather is better) but this may just be comments from people who happen to have been unlucky rather than a weather characteristic. Perhaps Flowercity or some other resident could comment further on June weather.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira in June

Funchal can be very crowded when there are several cruise ships in on one day, especially at New Year, but not many call over the summer months, so that shouldn't be a problem in June.

June is known as the capacete month, when thick cloud can hang over the island like a helmet, sometimes it doesn't happen much, sometimes it does - who can predict the likelihood? It happens at other times, too, it's just the luck of the draw whether you will get a cloud free holiday. Always lots to do in Madeira whatever the weather.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madeira in June

There is actually some truth to it. On average, May has 214h of sunshine and June has 198. August is the sunniest with 260.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madeira in June

roseandvine you are absolutely right. The weather patterns, as in many places besides Madeira, are changing. You can chase the sun , the cloud does not always effect Funchal. There has been some similar cloud this month but it is vey warm, today is very hot.

Numbers do not mean anything really as if you spread them over the whole Island it is not that many. Not everyone bases themselves in Funchal. The crowds in June will be the ones watching the Atlantic Festival around the Marina on Saturday nights.

7. Re: Madeira in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Madeira