We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spraying pesticides on flights

Knutsford, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Spraying pesticides on flights

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

My husband and I have booked a holiday to Funchal through Thomson. We fly from Manchester in July and are really looking forward to a well overdue holiday.

I recently heard reports of Thomson flights spraying the cabins with pesticides prior to take-off so I got myself into a bit of a panic about it as I'd rather not expose myself to chemicals in such an enclosed environment. I contacted Thomson to ask them to confirm the use of the aerosols and was told that they are not aware of such procedures and I was not to worry!

I am just wondering if anyone can confirm if Thomson do routinely use aerosol pesticides on the flight from Madeira?

Thank you for your help!

Louise

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

We haven't been to Madeira for 18 months, but the last time we visited (Manchester Thomson flights) they sprayed prior to taking off on the return flight, not the outbound flight. This was due to the outbreak of Dengue fever on the island in 2012. I'm sure others on this forum who have more recent experience will be able to advise. Please don't worry about about any spraying, it's purely a precaution for the passengers benefit.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

I flew back into Gatwick on Thomson Flight 4135 on Monday 16th June 11.15 am Departure from Funchal.

Yes, the cabin was sprayed before departure. We were asked if we wished to cover our faces before the flight attendant began to walk along the the cabin with a can of spray in each hand. Everyone around me covered their faces, including me.

But, the flight attendant did request that if any passenger had an allergy to pesticides to identify themselves to a flight attendant before she commenced.

So, why are Thomson saying they are not aware this happens at certain times on some of their flights ?

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

The cabins of Thomsons flights from Madeira have been sprayed since September 2012 .Prior to that date I do not recollect that happening .

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

Several airlines use this spraying but it seems sporadic, some flights it happens, some it doesn[t, but it is not peculiar to Thomson. Several threads on the air travel forum on TA discuss this issue.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

I think Thomsons have fobbed you off.They know about it alright but don't like people to know about it.

Jet2 who we fly with do the same on the inbound journey.I have not got an issue with it because I think you can catch more off people who are sat near you.

Rob

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

Thomsons also spray before the flight back to Glasgow. They do suggest you cover your nose and mouth. They also say it is a Portugese legal requirement. The spray is aimed at the overhead lockers before they are closed. As said it's not only Thomson.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

Calderglen - Agree totally with your post number 6 .

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

TAP also spray their flights from Funchal to Gatwick and they too aim towards the opened overhead lockers. I've never known them check if any passengers have allergies.

Knutsford, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

Thanks so much for all your replies.

I'm just not comfortable with being exposed to pesticides in the cabin. Obviously there are risks with everything and I am aware that flying when pregnant is a risk in itself. What I am disappointed in is the lack of honesty of Thomsons regarding this issue. I should be made aware of the pesticide use so I can make an informed decision surely?

Anyway, I have sent Thomsons an email and a Facebook message so I'll see what they say!

Thanks again

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spraying pesticides on flights

Although this thread is not recent, it is perhaps relevant, lots of responses but you get the general idea about what happens

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k58793…