We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pico Arieiro please help!

Sunderland
Level Contributor
11 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Pico Arieiro please help!

Hello, travelling to Madeira in October young couple with my boyfriend. Trying to organise as much as possible because theres so many things I want to do so looking for a bit of advice.

I really want to go to Pico Arieiro but dont want to do the walk, would just like to head up and enjoy the views for awhile, spend some time in the visitor centre and take plenty photos. I have looked around and there are places offering tours to get up there but this would mean spending alot of time there as its like a bus trip up then hours there while people do the walk.

I am hiring an electric car called city bubbles for one day but with this i was hoping to do nuns valley and the village below and also the cliff top viewpoint along from funchal and i dont think my little electric buble car would make it up to pico ariero as alot of people have said make sure you have a powerful car.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions of who i can get in contact that might offer what i am looking for, like a means of getting up there but only say spending an hour to one hour and half up there then returning. I dont fancy a full day island tour because it means sitting on a bus for ages.

Other days we are planning on doing a fishing trip one day (for the boyfriend) and another day up on cable car / monte / gardens, and then like i said another day with the bubble car doing nuns valley.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pico Arieiro please help!

Havng seen the website www.citybubbles.net , I see that they have a Personal Guided Tour (minimum 2 cars) that iincludes a tour to Pico Areeiro and Eira do Serrado to Pico Areeiro, so that means it is well possible, and the streets to Mionte are also steep so the car will be suited.

May be you can find a second car to do that tour , ask them by email.

Or go via Monte and Poiso and then down to Eira do Serrado. Only the part of that road near Eira do Serrado is steep, at first from Areeiro it is up and down but not steep. Nice quiet road.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,258 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pico Arieiro please help!

The táxis will do that, negociate the price in advance.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pico Arieiro please help!

You could hire a taxi for half a day for about 60euros .

Sunderland
Level Contributor
11 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pico Arieiro please help!

Thanks for all the help.

Have been doing abit research today and have found car hire with Rodavante for one full day would cost 38euros. Think I will do this to get up to Pico Arieiro and then drive on to Santana then enjoy the coastal road back or depending on how long we spend in Santana maby go back via pico arieiro depending on time for sunset view :)

Going to stick with city bubbles for up to nuns valley and the cliff viewing point as i think it will be alot of fun in the little electric car!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pico Arieiro please help!

A VERY nice day's drive would be to go first on the highway towards Ribeira Brava, turning right after the tunnel, up to Encumeada (not through the tunnel), enjoy the view from Hotel Pousada dos Vinhaticos, and then up to Encumeada (even a little levada walk from the snackbar on top), then to Sao Vicente (nice town), then the fabulous coastal road to Santana, seeing the beautiful church of Ponta Delgada on the way, then to Pico Areeiro, a long day but fantastic..

6. Re: Pico Arieiro please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:17