We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slightly odd beer related question - Superbok lager

Berkshire
Level Contributor
56 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Slightly odd beer related question - Superbok lager

Morning everyone.

Can anyone who has already been to Madeira, tell me whether it is possible to find Superbok lager on tap? It is Portuguese (apparently ?!) but wasn't sure if it might be available on Madeira.

Thanks - odd question I know

northumberland
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slightly odd beer related question - Superbok lager

hi

i havent seen the beer you mentioned but it may be available in some of the bars in the old town in funchal where the locals frequent

the larger on tap tends to be coral which takes a while to get used to but its very nice and we generally drink that now

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slightly odd beer related question - Superbok lager

There appear to be few home-grown beers in Portugal (Super Bock,

Crystal, Sagres, being the main ones in the south at least) and all come from Unicer.

They taste very similar to me, and would not be at all surpised if they come off the same production line - just the same beer with different labels. Certainly I would fail to tell them apart in a "blind tasting". They are perfectly drinkable, if unspectacular.

If Coral in Madeira is also brewed by Unicer, then it is possible that this too is just the same stuff with a different label.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
310 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slightly odd beer related question - Superbok lager

Yes, there is Superbok lager on draft or Coral, those seem to be the two main lagers. Hubby preferred the Coral.

Sharon

Berkshire
Level Contributor
56 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slightly odd beer related question - Superbok lager

thanks everyone

Ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Slightly odd beer related question - Superbok lager

In the funchal area I think I only saw Superbok or Coral on tap. I personally like the Coral. Its not the most flavourful beer, though it goes down quite nicely when cold. I was on vacation for 2 weeks last year and I think I had at least 2 pints at every sitting. I had beer that is a great deal worse. How can you complain when beer is the price of bottle water?

Get answers to your questions about Funchal