We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Hi

Can anyone please help us -

What is the approximate cost of a taxi transfer from Funchal airport into the old town area?

What are the TAP flights like and do they include meals? They seem to be very cheap compared to some others for when we want to go and we wonder is there is a 'catch' that maybe we're not seeing.

Any tips and advice will be much appreciated. Thanks folks.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Taxi costs to the Old Town you would expect topay around 25 - 30 euros. I would think that meals are possibly an optional extra, as with other airlines but not heard good reports re food, perhaps someone else will know for sure. Easyjet have announced seat sales for Sept/Oct, but you do not say when you are going or where you are flying from.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Flowercity, do you know of any other airlines (apart from TAP and Easyjet) that fly to Madeira from UK? Not BA any more? Thanks.

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Thanks flowercity

We are planning a trip for next April to be there for the flower festival so thought it might be wise to make reservations early. Just doing our homework at the moment. Is TAP a good airline? Ordinary scheduled or one of the budget scheduled airlines, presumably not a charter airline? We don't know anything about them at all.

All advice appreciated!

Funchal, Madeira
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

TAP does not have a very good reputation here in Portugal. They are constantly delayed and have one of the highest baggage loss rates in the world. A lot of people make a joke about it and say that TAP really stands for Take Another Plane.

They have recently dropped their prices in order to compete with the likes of Easyjet.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

re the flights to madeira can say nothing about tap but charter airlines thomson thomas cook first choice and others fly to madeira from a lot of airports all year round.their service is i would say about the same as cheap airlines like easyjet perhaps a bit better. however only snag they usual go on a monday only and so are not very flexable.look up any website giving flights to check prices times etc.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

There are around 9 flights from airports around UK on Mondays and usually 2 on Fridays from Manchester and Gatwick, but I havn't seen the Winter schdule yet. These are operated by the big Companies (Thomson,Thomas Cook & First Choice).I find that Easyjet is usually by far the cheapest, my family are flying end of August for half the price Thomson/Thomas Cook & First Choice were asking.

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Thanks everyone, we'll check out each of those mentioned to compare prices although Easyjet are not offering for next April just yet, hopefully soon. Comparing the prices using end March as a guideline, their charges are certainly way below the other airlines we've compared so far - its just the bun fight for seats that we're not so keen on, but I guess we get what we pay for and we've always managed to sit together without a problem on previous occasions.

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Eyepye

You know there is a small Sam bus that runs from the airport to Marina area and destination Lido area, I think its about five departures a day and you can get timetable through the Funchal bus sites. We took it in February and it costs about 5 euros each way and very helpful drivers who will assist you as much as possible regarding drop off zones for your particular hotel/appartment. Coming back just look at the bus stops in downtown Funchal it will show you return times, highly recommend it, the only slight downside is some departures are too close for incoming flights, i.e clearance of baggage, so if the bus isn't full I cant see why drivers cant wait a bit, they must know a jet has arrived. It also gives you a lovely first feel about looking at Funchal. If you do book TAP this service IS FREE just keep your TAP tickets and show the driver. It saves alot from using a Taxi. Good luck

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Eyepye

Sorry forgot to say to get off for the old town the driver can stop near old town I think you'd get off around about the Mercados dos Lavros (have I got that right?) ie the Workers market, which is definately worth a visit, bye

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TAP Portugal flights - and - taxi transfers

Thank you Phildale, have made a note of that too. Everyone is being so very kind and helpful, great.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal