We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need some advice on my trip to madeira

bath
1 post
Save Topic
need some advice on my trip to madeira

My wife and I are spending a week in Funchal from August the first this year

My wife is a vegetarian and doesnt eat fish

Can any one suggest places we can eat

We aim to do a lot of walking on the Levadas

Can we walk in sandles

Or are walking boots reccommended

What are the "must see" places for a weeks stay

We werent planning on hiring a car

Is this a ok

Or should we hire a car for a few days

What are the alternatives

Thx

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

Hi!

Bath, very nice town! :-)

Regarding vegetarion restaurants in Madeira, sorry can't help. Nver been in one on Madeira, but several in Lisbon.

Check out e-macrobiotica.com/culinaria/…

It seams there is one called Bio Logos.

Regarding the walking tours, I personaly recommend walking boots for any such activitys.

You can also rent a car (I've done that) and go to places that are out of the turist path, and have so more freedom in stoping and seeing the views.

I recomend "Porto Moniz", and then go by the north road that circles the island to Santana, Cabo Girão, Machico, Ponta de Sao Vicente, Curral de Cabras, Pico do Areeiro, etc.

hope this helps!

And have a nice trip!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

Just a quick note, the rod on the north of the island goes to Santana. The other town and place names are on other places on the island.

U.K.
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

Can anybody recommend a nice local Portuguese bar in

Funchal I will be there Oct/Nov. Iam staying in the center

of Funchal

Thank You.

4. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2009, 20:26
5. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 April 2009, 21:03
funchal
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

Restaurant BIO LOGOS was in street "rua Nova de São Pedro " is closed at some months ago and it looks is for ever.

To have a super mael go to "Solar D´Ajuda"on the Lido area or to "Mar Brando"near of Savoy Classic and Pestana Carlton Madeira.

To walk in LEVADAS and for your own security never use "sandles= Shoes for Sand) walking boots are reccommended.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

Sorry cant give any advice about food but about walking the levadas be carefully some can be quite dangerous better to go with some local guide etc in groups unless you are very experienced as people have been killed or badly injured.

8. Re: need some advice on my trip to madeira

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 00:18