We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Devon
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Hello All, I will be taking my elderly mother (77) to Madeira this year and I am trying to find a suitable hotel for her.She is fairly mobile but can't walk far. We like to laze by the pool and watch the world go by and also like to visit other restaurants in the area. She is fairly easy to please but I am worried The Cliff Bay Hotel will be too big and I want to know if the pools are very accessible. Could you advise on my dilemma. I have read many of the reveiws for the hotel and it sounds wonderful and possibly perfect for us but some input from other guests would be useful on this matter.

Last point - are taxi's easy to obtain outside the hotel and in the town?

Many thanks.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Cliff Bay is an excellant choice, however it is built down a hill, so may not be suitable for her, depending on her mobility.There are lifts to all floors.It is the flagship hotel for the Porto Bay group, another consideration may be Porto Santa Maria, check out this website for photos and more details

www.portobay.com

There is usually a taxi nearby, but reception will call one for you if not or you can walk up to the street and there are usually some outside, The busstop into Funchal is also on the main road outside the Hotel. There are many taxi ranks so you should never have difficulty getting taxis anywhere but around the city make sure that they use the meter or if you go outside the city, agree a orice before getting in.

durham
Level Contributor
194 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

There are two pools at Cliff Bay. The upper pool will be ideal for your mum as it has wide steps with handrail as you enter. The lower pool is also nice but only has the usual "ladder" type access.

You will love the ambience and relaxation at Cliff Bay. We are going back in July and it can't come quick enough!

England
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

My sister-in-law stayed there with her 85 year old mother who absolutely loved it. They said they walked down into town but either got a bus or a taxi back.

Hope that helps a bit too.

Devon
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Thanks for all your info - I have considered the Santa Maria and will have another look. Good to know about the bus-stop outside the hotel. Many thanks.

Devon
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Thankyou for the info about the pools; it's so hard to get a feel for the layout of a hotel by just looking at photo's. Very useful info and I think I will probably be booking The Cliff Bay.

Many thanks.

Devon
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Yes that does help, thankyou very much.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Hello Jazyb1,

The Cliff Bay is a lovely hotel and it has a courtesy bus during the day into Funchal centre.

Devon
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Thanks. I didn't know about the courtesy bus, again very useful info to help me make my decision. What a brilliant site this is!

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Hi, I don't think your mother will have any problems with accessability at or to/ from this hotel.

There are lifts to all floors, and a lift down to the pool at sea level. In fact, when we were there last year, there was a wheelchair user and the staff could not have been more accomodating in ensuring that she was able to use the sea level pool - and bathe in the sea. They assisted her in and out of the pool, and carried her off the jetty so she could swim in the sea. Your mother may not require this level of assistance but it shows how far the lovely staff there will go to ensure no problems are encountered and all guests can relax and enjoy themselves.

Taxi's can be obtained from outside the hotel (was around 5 euro for a trip into Town) or a courtesy bus runs to and from Funchal at regular intervals up until about 4pm.

Devon
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is The Cliff Bay suitable for elderly mother?

Thankyou for your information. I have decided to go with The Cliff Bay after all the helpful comments and I am waiting to hear if they have availability. Fingers crossed and we can't wait to go.

Many thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal