We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendation for not-too-touristy restaurants if poss?!!

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
recommendation for not-too-touristy restaurants if poss?!!

We're visiting the first w/e of September and are staying in the Quinta Jardins do Lago. We've planned a special dinner in the hotel on Saturay which leaves a couple of nights to eat locally. Besides knowing we're up a seriously steep hill, we have no idea where we are. (But I think there's a bus runs up there)

Can anybody suggest anywhere off the main drags serving straightforward local fayre or are all the restaurants in one or two streets serving tourist-style menus or in big hotels, in which case we'll just take pot luck?

It's difficult when you only have a weekend, want to do a couple of half day trips out and don't have much time to suss things out, so would appreciate pointing in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

funchal
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendation for not-too-touristy restaurants if poss?!!

If you come in funchal centre near of the Theater and the Municipal Garden you will find in north of the garden the (Restaurante "COMBATENTES" in Rua Ivens) good food at resonable price.

At Rua da Carreira also very near (50 metters from Combatentes)you will find several good ones like "CAFE LONDRES", "FIM DO MUNDO",O ARCO","O FUNIL".

In Rua da Queimada de Cima there is also several good ones.

Welcome and enjoy your stay a "Jardins do Lago" ,and compliments to you by the good choice you have made.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendation for not-too-touristy restaurants if poss?!!

Indeed, Londres in Rua da Carreira is a very good one, mainly frequented by the locals.

For tourist restaurant (but good) go to the Old Town and I think Arsenios is great. Read the newspaper clipping on the window. They have fado which is rare in Funchal. Several other restaurants in that street Rua Santa Maria, the most beautiful street of Funchal.

see madeiraarchipelago.com/map/madeira-funchal.h… to see where your hotel is , number 51, between 2 rivers left of the centre. Rua da Carreira is quite walkable (at least downward).

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendation for not-too-touristy restaurants if poss?!!

Hi dutchguy

Thanks so much for the map - I don't reckon we're going to have too much problem from traffic noise up there but I might need my hiking boots (or the number of the local taxi company!!) And can't wait to try out those local restaurants.

4. Re: recommendation for not-too-touristy restaurants if poss?!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Funchal