We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
devon
Level Contributor
383 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

I have stayed at the cliff bay last November and loved it. I have booked to stay at The Residence, Porto mare for 1 week over NYE. I am now worried that it may be false ecconomy and that it would be worth paying the extra to change to the The cliff bay? The cost is an extra £400 each( 2 persons). Is it worth the extra, (both sea view with breakfast) or should i stay at the residence?

Help, i can't decide!!! Do not mind paying the extra but £400 each is a lot of money, will it make my holiday THAT much better?

Thanks for your much needed help!!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

Both Hotels are owned by the Porto Bay Group and have excellent facilities as well as being in good areas for eating and shopping. I like the Residence and Porto Mare, as well as Eden Mar - all three are linked by corridors and so you have a choice of about 5 swimming pools and all of the other facilities.Many people prefer Cliff Bay, it is the flagship hotel for the Group but I am sure you will not be dissappointed at the Residence. It is the newest of their hotels and because many of the rooms are for timeshare owners, there are often extra facilities which you would not get in ordinary hotels.Why not look at the website, so that you can see what is available.

http://www.portobay.com

funchal
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

I would choose CLIF BAY because is a very good hotel and also belongs to the same economical group.

These 3 hotels Eden Mare ,Porto Mare and Porto Mare Residence ,

they are all together in the complex and that makes all together more than 800 persons.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

I would think both hotels would be fine i all ways stay at the cliff bay never at the porta mare but it is a fine hotel and the residence is good also.It is up to you to make up your own mind but i will say when i stayed at the porto bay hotel in FALESIA it was certainly of a standard almost five star.i return next week all going well to the cliff bay for a holiday cant wait.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

Hi,

I have stayed in both the Cliff Bay and the Porto Mare and although I preffered the Cliff Bay I wouldn't say it was worth £400 more per person. Someone on here recently explained why the Porto Mare wasn't classified as I 5 star hotel because I think it is good enough to be one. Hope this helps.

devon
Level Contributor
383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

Think i'm going to stick with The Residence and put £800 towards the next trip or some fantastic days/nights out.

Thanks for all help

doncaster
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

We have just come back from Porto Mare, had a lovely week. We checked out the Residence and the rooms are very good, we were almost tempted to buy a time share!

There is a really good retaurant called the "Med" within the complex and we had 2 excellant meals in there. The buffet breakfast is very good also. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis.

I cannot comment on the Cliff Bay, but we were quire happy with our choice.

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

Having recently returned from a weeks holiday, originally for a week at the Porto Mare. Three days into the holiday I upgraded into the Cliff Bay.

Personally, I just prefer the level of service at the Cliff Bay. As well as that, the restaurant food and service was not as good as that at the Cliff Bay and I also disliked not having sea access. The rooms were very spacious and well equipped and comfortable. The spa at the Porto Mare is really good value for money, and the Italian restaurant attached to the Residence is fab. The resort is fantastic for families but just lacks the personal touches that the Cliff Bay offer.

I suppose it just depends on your own personal tastes. Having stayed at the Cliff Bay many timers in the past - it is just what you become used to. £400 pp is a lot of money, and I am sure you will have a great time at the Residence and treat yourself to lots of spa treatments!

devon
Level Contributor
383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

Thanks for the info, i have decided to stick with the residence, however it is good to know that you can upgrade when there too. Thanks again.

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
12 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

You have definitely made the right decision. We have stayed twice at the Eden Mar , part of the Porto Mare complex. Earlier this year, as the Eden Mar was being refurbished, we were upgraded to the Cliff Bay which of course was wonderful and we had a great holiday! But the sub tropical gardens at the Eden Mar are soooo gorgeous, you can watch the sun set over the sea from there which we couldn't at the Cliff Bay as the view is restricted by a hotel further up the road! Also we like being near to the promenade, local supermarket and restaurants. Needless to say we have booked to go to the Eden Mar next year!

New York USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Porto mare residence or Cliff bay?

We have a time share at the Residnce in Porto Mare and will be making our 5th trip there in May 2010. We have also stayed at their Edan Mar , which is part of the complex. Each section is fantastic. The staff are all very accomodating. We love the "Residence " esp. for the space of the room - either a studio, one or two bedroom. A lot of people state that they do not want to cook on vacation. However, having a well equiped kitchen is a pleasure , not only for cooking and entertaininge, but having these options available. In addition guest hav a choice to being very active or just relaxing on their terrace or lawn. Our time share is for 4 weeks: and we have yet to become bored. The location is also ideally near several excellent restaurants and is in walking distance to 3 supermarkets and ocean beaches. As I have stated, there is plenty to do here . The complex has 5 restaurants and 5 pools and a variety of nightly entertainment. The Promenade starts here and goes about 2 miles along the oceon with fantastic views and eventually wil strech out to over 10 miles: A great plece for taking healthy and invigorating walk every day... The Cliff Bay is a beautiful hotel, but we would not trade our accomodations for it. You will love Madeira whether you stay at iether hotel. Feel free to contact me if you have any ?s.

Phil Giovi

Get answers to your questions about Funchal