We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water quality

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Drinking water quality

Have just returned from Madeira, where the authorities are working hard to clear roads and clean up Funchal, but it will be a very long job, maybe months or years to repair everything.

Part of central Funchal is open again, with shops, cafes etc needing tourists. West of the town, the newer, concrete section, is not damaged, but the region where the 2 main rivers emerge is a mess, with most shops closed or damaged, and the promenade and old town inaccessible still on 1st March. The cable cars to Monte were back in operation.

The motorway is open, but the road from Ribeira Brava to Sao Vincente is too badly damaged to reopen in the immediate future, so the North and West is difficult to access quickly.

Finally, watch out for the water. 4 of us were all infected via food or water, and spent 24 hours incapacitated, now slowly recovering. Many people on the plane back had the same infection. Possible a result of the broken water and sewage systems?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking water quality

Oh dear, seems there are several posts from different people about this now, and checking the offical government information

reliefweb.int/rw/…

it says that "The government recommends that the water should be boiled (10 minutes) before drink. Teeth brush should be done with boiled water or bottled water" .

Seems indeed, as might be expected, the water is at risk of having been contaminated from the floods. Looks like we will be cancelling our trip this weekend after all; rather lose £500 we wont get back than get ill. Though such a shame, as am sure the local businesses need visitors, and they`ve even got the cable cars working according to another post. .We do hope the locals are not suffering too much from this illness as well as everythign else. Very sorry Madeira, we will plan to revisit you next year, promise.

Edited: 02 March 2010, 21:57
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking water quality

It is really sad that you have chosen to not visit Madeira as planned. Personal hygene and bottled water is really common sense, especially in these circumstances. Up to the advise yesterday to not drink tap water, I have been drinking tap water which I have done safely for over 7 years. However, it cannot all be blamed on drinking water as many of these bugs are coming in with visitors during the incubation period. I hope that you will reconsider, the Madeiran people are not going to deliberately infect guests, it would be counter productive, but some responsibility must be taken by all of us to be careful with hygene and what we drink.

hartlepool
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking water quality

They sell bottled water in the shops, or so i am led to believe!

I cannot believe that anyone would cancel their trip for this reason. Mind you, they say 'it takes allsorts to make a world'

visiting on thursday for a week.. can't wait

Petersfield, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking water quality

You are seriously going to cancel your trip - and lose £500 because there is a small risk from drinking tap water? For heaven's sake, there are many places across the world where it is advisable not to drink tap water, and this in no way detracts from the enjoyment and interest of these places. Bottled water is freely available. No offence, but I think you need to get a better sense of perspective.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking water quality

I agree entirely. Personally I believe that there have been some guests who have had the 'winter vomiting' bug which was a problem at New Year and early January, again brought in by visitors. This is nothing to do with drinking tap water. It has been a huge problem in the UK during the winter so to use it as an excuse I believe is wrong. You will not get infection from broken sewage systems unless you are physically in contact with them, again an issue which is mainly down to personal hygene and common sense.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking water quality

Certainly won't put us off our visit in April. We normally stick to bottled water abroad due to the taste and on our last visit to Madeira we did the same.

suffolk
Level Contributor
789 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinking water quality

Didn't know you could drink the tap water in Madeira. I am a bit of a wimp and drink bottled water all the time when abroad in any country. Even use it to make a cup of tea, clean teeth etc. Better to be safe....

Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinking water quality

Actually, you CAN get infected from broken sewage systems, because it takes only a minuscule particle of norovirus to make you sick, it is highly contagious. But, the norovirus has been circulating in northern Europe this winter so some people have certainly brought the disease with them to Madeira rather than caught it there. Despite all precautions with hand washing and alcohol hand sprays etc we also contracted the disease. With the usual germination time being 12-24h we most certainly caught it in Madeira. But it did not spoil our vacation. It was only a couple of hours and the worst symptoms had passed.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinking water quality

When i was in madeira in january the vomiting bug was in funchal fortunately avoided it but you can get it any place in the world' .re drinking water it is fair to say that when in madeira i usually take bottled water but to put off your holiday re water quality unless one has an underlying problem is going a bit far but that is only my view .

funchal
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinking water quality

One 5 litter botle of mineral water cost only 1,19 Euros

I don’t want to minimise the Problem, but simply to reassure the people that have stopped choosing Madeira Island as a destination, on February 20th, 2010, in order to prevent an economic disaster on top of this.

Please, send positive news to all your contacts.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal