We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

I came back from a lovely week in Madeira yesterday and have since done some 'homework' on an experience i had during the latter part of the week there.

Walking along the marina in Funchal, a guy in his 40s from Camberwell no less, said he was 'doing a survey' and asked us a few questions. These questions turned into banter and eventually my partner was invited to try a 'lucky dip'. Amazingly, she 'won' a seemingly genuine prize of free flights for two to europe courtesy of Royal Savoy hotel in Funchal.

All we had to do was take the cab with Mr Nice Guy to the hotel in the Lido area to accept the prize.

We got there to find that the old Savoy is a building site and the new Savoy is where we had to go.

We were led in to the desk where we were told we had to fill in some forms to claim the prize, but that it might take an hour or so.

It took 4 hours.

And it was a very pleasant plausible employee of Savoy Hotels attempting to sell us a flat in the new Savoy hotel being built in Funchal (due to open 2013). these flats are retailing at £7000 no less, required to be paid by mid 2011.

They asked me for 10 percent on the spot with another ten percent to follow next month...even though the hotel is only ready in 2013.

A company called Interval International is involved-their website says they 'exchange timeshares' and it seems all the big boys, Savoy, Sheraton, Radisson etc are involved with them.

The scheme seemed plausible but according the the internet, there are thousands of unsatisfied 'customers/victims'.

Clearly they were trying to sell off rooms from the unbuilt hotel, and i witnessed many older people in there and of many nationalities seemingly willing to cough up such sums.

It may not be illegal, but it seems my decision to say No may have been a good one? This is a 'heads-up' really, to anyone with friends out there to basically avoid this hard-sell and cheap tricks to get your cash...its timeshare the 21st century way. Incidentally, the 'free' flights we 'won' are return via a certain operator to restricted cities on restricted dates for minimum nights stays and it does not include airport taxes, fees, local charges, accommodation or anything else for that matter...just a shame such schemes are still flourishing.it was a wasted afternoon off from my holiday.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

To be brutally honest, anyone who is taken in by these people deserves all they get. Well done you for not being duped.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

They also have people on the bridge near the Pestana Carlton. We had a very nice meal in the old Savoy (before they pulled it down) courtesy of them but, as you say, the supposed 1 hour sales pitch turned into over 2 hours with us at which point we became a bit blunt and terminated the whole thing.

durham
Level Contributor
194 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

Myself and friend are regular visitors to Madeira, but this year we had a very unpleasant experience with a so called time-share person who was representing the Royal Savoy. We used to walk into town via the harbour route, but decided to take the upper road route this particular day. We spotted this person (I won't call him a gentleman), and knew immediately what he was. We both gave him a polite, but firm "no thank you" response and tried to walk away from him. He proceeded to literally block our path, and when we didn't stop, he became quite intimidating to the point of becoming rude. We actually had to tell him that our husbands were following us in order to get him to back off. Needless to say we didn't use that route again. On reflection, we should have reported him but reading other comments about these sharks, would it have made any difference I wonder?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

Yes these people are a nuisance and in general a complete con they have stopped bothering me i just ignore them i think they get the message they are in the marina area near the site of the old savoy and sometimes near the toyota showroom i think the aurthorities should do something about them but they dont seem interested.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

Over the past few weeks, there have been many 'timeshare' street workers moved away by the authorities, so they are trying to regulate them . However, providing they are legal to work, they are perfectly within their rights.Personally I would not allow any to work the streets, but the Savoy and Regency Club still pay people to send clients to them. Regarding buying pre-construction, the general view is that the new Savoy will not be completed on time and work was brought to a halt last week over court cases, but I am not sure if work is currently on going. Just be firm with a definate 'no' and carry on walking, don't let their 'lucky dip' fool you.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

It's so sad that Madeira is being ruined by the actions of some timeshare companies and holiday clubs in their attempts to attract new owners. No one wants to be pestered, misled, intimidated and in extreme cases conned.

I am actually a timeshare owner with Pestana and have been for eleven years. I have to say that we have been very pleased with the standard of the apartments and also with Pestana themselves. We originally came after a recommendation from a relative who was already an owner and at no time were we ever pushed into buying.

There is a link from the Citizens Advice Bureau website to an article about a new Timeshare directive that will be implemented into national law by all European Union Member States by February 2011. One important point in this is that there will be a 14 calendar day cooling off period and an absolute ban on any payments made during that period. Hopefully this should give people time to think through carefully whether the decision is right for them. http://www.rdo.org/node/650

Personally, I don't think there should be any timeshare touts on the streets and all kiosks offering cheap excursions should be very clearly marked if they have a timeshare connection.

Horncastle...
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

Timeshare from reputable companies like Pestana and the Royal Savoy should not be called a "con". And selling timeshares in a yet to be built hotel is not necessarily a con. Pestana did it with the new Promenade hotel and that hotel is up and operating well.

We have a timeshare in another Pestana property. We received an "incentive" to go to a presentation for the Promenade before it opened, listened for an hour and when asked for 10% simply said NO.

Mike referred to a company called "Interval International" and seemed to imply they are involved in some kind of a conspiracy with others. In fact, they are a rival to a similar company called RCI (Resort Condominiums International) and they are both companies through which you can exchange your timeshare week or weeks in one place for weeks elsewhere.

I accept that the timeshare concept isn't for everyone. It's worked for us in our circumstances but it may not be right for you. And I also agree that the "pavement pests" need controlling - we just say no and walk on.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 14:26
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

Also the porto bay group should be included as a good company i dont have timeshare but their property is good.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

To a degree I agree with Roger. There are reputable timeshare companies and timeshare can and does work for many people. Not for me personally, but I do see the advantages.

That said, the "industry" has long had a reputation for being a con, and too often rightly so.

I also wholeheartedly agree with cubsur. Frankly if you get caught by what to most of us is an obvious scam, then I find it difficult to have any sympathy.

Having spent almost the entirety of my career in marketing, I wouldn't even remotely entertain the idea of discussing such an investment with someone off the street. They don't have the first clue what they are talking about and are untrained.

Think about it. Your'e walking through London, Manchester, or Birmingham and someone comes up to you ........

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,562 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madeira Royal Savoy timeshare sellers

MorecheeseGromit?

The people on the street will not attempt to sell you anything and certainly will not discuss " such an investment"

They get paid to take you to the resort for the sales team to put the pressure on.

The people on the street don`t care weather you buy or not --- they have their commision for taking you there whether you sign up or not.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal