We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New things

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
New things

Just a couple of new things we saw on our holiday. Groups of 20 or more cyclists on cycling holidays round the funchal area and probably further afield. Also a new restaurant and new sports bar opened last week on Estrada Monumental and seemed busy. My hubby said the Guinness was nice.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 17:01
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New things

Good that a new bar and resturant as opened up on the Estrada Monumental where exactly is it. . i think the my guess would be past the lido area towards Pria Formosa . As for bike holidays a good thing anything that promotes tourisum within reason is good lets hope it is a good money maker for the island.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New things

Hi Bob, its across the road from O'Briens bar. An easy walk from the Cliff Bay!!! Watching the cyclists climbing up towards the Botanical Gardens made me feel tired.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 18:02
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New things

The cyclists are from one of the ships,they hire cycles and segways and generally get in everyone's way!!!

The new Restaurant/pub is called The Hole in the Wall, opposite almost Cliff Bay on the corner opposite, but very expensive. Loads of space outside and inside, very pleasant, but unimaginative sandwiches (Cheese, or ham or cheese and ham) fino (very small beer) €1.50, glass of mediocre wine €2.70, Guiness is apparently €3 and main meals around €15, starters around €7. Also has pool table and music, I believe until 3.00am so that will bring in a few complaints, as you can only play music until 10.pm in built up area. It is a shame it is so expensive as it has been well planned.

and really nice Along the road you can get a large glass of wine for €1.20 and a (half) of beer for €1.30.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New things

sorry it's called Hole in One

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
12 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New things

We tried the Hole in One for the first time during our recent holiday and I must say I disagree with your comments about it being expensive with unimaginative food. My husband and I shared a HUGE portion (described as "small" on the menu) of Picados, a dish consisting of tender chunks of beef cooked in a wine & garlic sauce with black olives, tomatoes and a generous serving of French fries. This cost 7.50 euros and was so delicious and good value we went back for more on our last night!

This was a very pleasant and friendly place to spend a couple of hours, music not too loud, surroundings interesting - we loved looking at the Oldsmobile in the garden! We will certainly go there again on our next visit.....

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New things

Good to hear you had a good holiday Calderglen.Wont be long before you are returning!!

Interested in the cycling part.Do it bit myself, & Mrs M also has a bike.

Were would, if i wanted to, hire a bike in Funchal.Also it does not seem very cycle friendly..ie no cycle lanes.Not intimidated by cycling on main roads but they all seem on the narrow side.Were would be the best place to cycle in Madeira.Dont mind a bit of hill climbing.

Rob

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New things

Many cruise visitors use hire bikes and cause many problems, mainly because they ride on the paths around Funchal. As you say, Funchal is not cycle friendly because of the very narrow roads, there is often not enough space for cars/buses to pass and to have cyclists as well is a nightmare. Personally I would not consider riding a bike anywhere n Madeira, as the 'out of town' roads are often as narrow, very steep and very curvy, you need very strong legs!!!

Horncastle...
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New things

Apart from the cyclists, watch out for the joggers and fitness fanatics who populate the narrow pavements in parts of the hotel district.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New things

Hi Rob, due to the difficulties with flights we have no further visits planned, but I'm still working on it! I have seen bikes for hire but for the life of me I can't remember where. When we were there at New Year we were told there were plans to widen the Estrada Monumental to include a cycle lane and also to turn it into a 2 lane road heading to Funchal with a new road being built lower down with 2 lanes to take the traffic in the opposte direction. I know with the financial situation it may not happen. Do any of the locals know anything about this?

Edited: 18 January 2012, 21:06
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New things

Hi Calderglen. Hope you had a good time and your flights weren't too much of a nightmare. It will be a real shame if the lack of flights affects your future visits.

We were also told of the road plans you mentioned (you didn't hear it from a taxi driver did you?). We were told the lower road (by Porto Mare, Melia, Enotel etc) would be extended past Pestana Promenade. I spoke to a few people about it and most think it's unlikely because of the lack of funds. Sounds as though there may be a lot of potential projects that wont go ahead because of the current financial position.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal