We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Madeira in late October?

Redcar, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Madeira in late October?

Hi! My sister and I are looking for hotels in Madeira to stay in October 2011. It's for my mum's 70th birthday so is a surprsie! We therefore want it to be really special. I've been reading the reviews for the Cliff Bay and they sound really nice but we were just wondering what the weather is normally like in October? People have said it's pleasant but we want to be able to sunbathe around the pool - will that be possible around the 22nd - 29th Oct? Thanks, Jenny

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,194 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Hi Jenny....The locals and DE's will be able to answer this better but in the meantime have you seen this........

www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/weather2-uk.html

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,998 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Hi Jenny

We went to the Cliff Bay last October right at the very end, I think around 27th and we were there for our anniversary on 31st so a very similar time. It was lovely weather for walking around. We did sunbathe and even had lunch at the restaurant down at the sea level pool. It is very sheltered up by the top pool which is half indoors and half out. I think we probably did have some cloud but no rain. I needed a light jacket when we went out at night but most of the men were in shirt sleeves.

Hope that helps. We enjoyed that visit so much that we went back to the Cliff Bay in July this year. I am sure your mother would love it.

Twigs

Mentioned in this post
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,194 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

weather patterns are changing but you should get some sunny days, maybe a few showers, but the temperatures should be around 18/19. Impossible to predict accurately, it seems to be differant every year!! Also Madeira is a microclimate and the weather forecasts cannot and do not apply to the whole Island.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Redcar, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Thanks yeah I did look at that but just wanted to hear from locals to back it up! Don't want it to rain!!!!

Redcar, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Oh that's great! Thanks for your message. Think we'll book it then!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Been to Madeira three times at the end of October. The first in 2006, was heavy showers but still managed to get in some swimming and sunbathing. In October 2007 it was slightly better and last year 2010 was the best. Really warm and sunny, stayed this time a fortnight, 19th October to 1st November and apart from one day, (Thurs. 22nd I think when the Queen Elizabeth was in, and where it poured down with heavy flooding for most of the day) the weather was perfect and we certainly didn't want to come home to England in November. Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
England
England
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Hi Jenny

Never been in October but have visited 3 times in December and sunbathing was possible during all of those holidays. Coming from the UK in autumn or winter you'll definitely feel it hot. Do be prepared for some rain - it may not happen but a light showerproof jacket/small brolly should suffice just in case.

As flowercity points out, weather patterns can vary over very short distances. The airport can be windy and showery but after a 25 minute drive into Funchal you may find blazing sunshine.

I'm sure you and your family will have a ball.

PS - Is that David Coulthard in your member photo ?!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Hi Jenny you have picked a great hotel i love it . As for weather even in jan when i go the weather is usually not that bad. Sometimes rain or may bye a few showers cloudy but you can get lovely sunny weather as i got in Jan this year only half a days rain.The weather can vary from place to place one place sunny the other cloudy with showers.Going back in late Sept all going well hope the weather is good need a bit of sunshine after this rotten summer we have had.

Redcar, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Thanks everyone for your messages! Much appreciated. I really want to book it now after reading your comments but my next problem is finding a flight! I'm a teacher so I have to go in the October half term flying either sat or sun and there are NO flights! They are all fri to fri or from London and I'm wanting to travel from North East or Manchester.

P.S Stewygriffin no it's not David Coulthard! It's my boyfriend haha! I registered through facebook so it automatically used my profile pic. Should change it really!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Madeira in late October?

Just to save you searching,you will not find a direct flight on a Sat/Sun from Manchester any time of the year. Its either Fri or Mon.Cant vouch for the North East airports.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Get answers to your questions about Funchal