We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

funchal and madeira

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
funchal and madeira

Have just returned from a great holiday in Madeira weather excellent hot humid very hotel as usual per my report excellent friendly people as usual.However the island seemed quite for this time of year talking to locals they say things are not good and will only get worse due to the world and local money situation.There are a few good signs hotels are cutting prices the prices you pay for food drinks etc are largely unchanged good for tourists but for local business etc i wonder.Did not see any timeshare touts still a few about i am told but not many .Advise for snacks drinks etc the beerhouse great beer good food the golden gate cafe certainly the Yacht bar not bad also worth mentioning the porta santa maria near the cable car does a deal for a sandwich and small beer or soft drink for about six euros a good deal.Happy Tours in the lido shopping center excellent worth going to run good fairly priced tours. also a word of praise for Paula the Thomson rep in the Cliff Bay excellent .The favourite trip i did was a jeep safari in the mountains a bit wet when i went but well worth taking.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: funchal and madeira

Glad you enjoyed your holiday, Bob. It sounds as though you found the island even quieter than before and I wonder if this is affecting the flights to Madeira nowadays. The choice available seems to have reduced dramatically and the prices to have gone up equally dramatically. Not a good sign for an ailing tourist trade.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: funchal and madeira

I agree entirely Phil the reduction of flights will hurt Madeira badly.My flight to and from Glasgow was full but my flight in the winter in January was about two thirds full with a large element of cruise passengers. However Thomson have cancelled cruises in this area not all but some next year.The prices from Scotland are expensive to say the least but i understand Thomson are operating a flight in the summer next year with cooks also running a flight but time will tell if this lasts.With the T.A.P cutbacks it means i am afraid the big two will have the upper hand re fares etc from Scotland not a good thing especially trying to get to funchal in winter.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: funchal and madeira

Hello gents,

enjoyed reading your review Bob.Makes good reading.

Concerning flights i have had it confirmed earlier this week that Thomsons will not be putting on a Friday flight for summer 2012 from Manchester & Gatwick.That means no Thomsons guests arriving in Madeira on a Friday.Not good eh.

Dont think the recession just hitting Madeira.We are flying out to Lanzarote on Monday with Cooks & the flight is only about 60% full.

Rob

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: funchal and madeira

Hi everyone. I am really concerned about our lovely Island of Madeira and that tourism might be affected, particularly as the flights have been cut back. When I visited last christmas, my young taxi driver pointed out a number of hotels where there were very few guests. Talking with the lovely Portuguese family that I know, they say their business is not good and they are in the DIY business.. Let's hope that things improve soon. Anyone that is going to Madeira soon, please say hello from me to all on that paradise Island.

Scotland
Level Contributor
228 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: funchal and madeira

Glad to know you had a great time, Bob. Reading your account has tempted us. We have a week's leave we have been holding on to but, reading your report and having seen a flight from Glasgow on Monday for £167, we are very tempted. Will have to see if we can find any good deals on hotels.

Do you know if the Glasgow flight next summer is a code share between Thomson and Thomas Cook or will there be two flights? Hopefully they would be on different days.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: funchal and madeira

Hi edingirl the flights are on Monday as usual but cant really see this happening not enough customers i think but time will tell.Anyway goodluck hotel hunting.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: funchal and madeira

We've just booked for early January-our sixth visit to this lovely island!

After reading recent reports I'm sure our custom will be warmly appreciated-as is the wonderful hospitality we get when we are there.

We are lucky as East Midlands are still running flights-and much cheaper package than from Manchester -about £200 each cheaper.

Thanks to all for your contributions to the forum-enjoy reading them and look forward to our return there!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: funchal and madeira

Hi Bob - I , look you cannot see two planes per week going from Glasgow to Funchal - just not enough passengers. Glad you had great holiday. Jim

9. Re: funchal and madeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 August 2012, 18:24
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: funchal and madeira

Re earlier posts about possible two flights per week from Glasgow, the guy in travel agents said his system was giving contradicting information about flights in that there were two departure times showing - 7am and 9am (9am is nearer the usual time) he made no mention of two separate flights but it has just struck me that this may be the reason why two separate flight times were shown on system. He was unable to confirm at the time of booking what my particular flight time would be so i think it is a case of 'watch (with interest) this space'

Get answers to your questions about Funchal