We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Galina Dorada

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Galina Dorada

Someone asked a while ago if this restaurant was still open. It is no longer open. Sad, as it was somewhere we enjoyed if we just wanted something simple to eat.

1. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 August 2012, 07:40
Horncastle...
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

Laptop: You could consider driving to Edinburgh, flying easyJet to Lisbon and then picking up one of easyJet's frequent (and cheap) flights from Lisbon to Funchal. And if the easyJet flights from Lisbon to Funchal don't suit connectionwise you could look at TAP for that leg.

Now, I don't know this as 100% fact but as easyJet is a low-cost airline that offloads baggage at the destination in double-quick time I doubt that it will treat anything as "through" baggage. Certainly, if you were to book Edinburgh to Lisbon to Funchal, you will be charged separately for baggage for each leg and I imagine that would apply equally for Glasgow to Gatwick to Funchal.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

Thanks Roger - something to think about and perhaps work around. Rain here quite torrential at moment - I'll be glad to escape from it for a few days tomorrow. Regards, Jim.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

That is indeed sad news about Galinha Dourada. I heard that the Pestana Grand had contracts with some travel company to provide half board accommodation and wonder if that was affecting restaurants in the vicinity. A shame because it provided reasonable value "no frills" meals.

The trouble with Gatwick flights, Laptop769, is that the only two airlines, TAP and Easyjet, leave around 6 o'clock in the morning so you are looking at an overnight stay. Likewise coming back, they arrive in too late for an onward connection north, so another overnight stay.

Edited: 17 October 2011, 15:00
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

Hi Phil - thanks for the info. Makes for rather fragmented journeys - not to mention additional expense. I think most people look on the October week as an incidental break rather than a main holiday and would be less than willing to meet the expense of hotels at start and end of holiday. Anyway, by October 2012 who knows how many more flights will be discontinued. Things not looking too great. Regards, Jim.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

Hi Calderglen. Hope you're having a great time and glad to hear you're still managing to get to Madeira despite all the problems with flights.

It was me who asked the question a while ago about Galina Dorada (possibly others did too) so thanks for the feedback. What a shame though as I agree it was basic but reliable there and very good value for money, friendly staff too.

Enjoy the rest of your stay and hope you also have a good holiday laptop.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

Sorry to hear about this place closing when i was in Funchal it seemed to me a lot of places were empty most of the time even the Beerhouse.As for flights yes Laptop Jet 2 are starting flights to Rome in the spring next year i saw a bit in the papers about it .Easyjet and other low cost airlines i agree with Phil dont transfer luggage when you change probably as the turnround time is so short Enjoy Rome Laptop and Calderglen do the same.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

Hi all, had a lovey holiday, weather was lovely, about 26 degrees every day.

Laptop, about flights in October- we flew Ba to Gatwick and then Tap to Funchal. Booked about 9 months in advance this costs about the same as easyjet. you can book a through ticket on the Tap website and then your luggage will be checked straight through to Funchal. or you can book it as 2 separate flights which is cheaper but then you have to collect your luggage at Gatwick and transfer it to the other terminal and check it back in. there has been a lot of money spent on gatwick in the last few years and changing terminals with your luggage is very easy. In Oct Tap are still flying there sumer schedule so the flight from Gatwick is 13.50 and returns to Gatwick at 3.15. Hope this helps

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

Glad you had a good time Calderglen. Weather sounds great.

We're going to Madeira with TAP for new year and in May, both very early morning flights. I keep hoping we'll get the phone call to say they've changed them to 13.50 (perfect)....hmmm, wishful thinking!!

10. Re: Restaurant Galina Dorada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 August 2012, 14:37
Get answers to your questions about Funchal