We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

We are going to the Quinta Jardins do Lago in June for a few weeks. It's been a long while since we took a holiday in Europe as we spend months in Florida these days. So far I have been impressed by the awfulness of Thomas Cook airlines with it's extras for blowing your nose policy and minute cabin baggage allowance. I was further impressed by car hire where it was suggested that a hold would be placed on my credit card for E2660 (Peugeot 107) as a CDW deductible if the car was damaged unless I nearly doubled the cost by paying for Super CDW. I am aware that one can insure against this for £49 but it could be months before seeing the money. Anyone had experience of this?

This taste of rip offs led me to wonder whether prices in hotels and restaurants would have 23% VAT and/or 15% service added on at bill time. What is the tipping rate in Madeira? In the USA I am used to paying 15 - 20% but they don't have 23% VAT.

Thanks

David v

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

The vat rate is high in Madeira as all other places in Europe, but you will find it is not an 'add-on' it is usually included in the advertised price. Unlike Canada and USA the taxes are included prices so there are no hidden costs.

There is no set rate for tipping, just give IF you feel you have had good service, again not like the States, it is not totally expected, again a personal choice whether you give a tip or not, the amount you give is up to you.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

We found Madeira to be a very straightforward country to visit. We certainly didn't find any hidden extras. I didn't get the impression any one was looking for a big tip. In fact the young taxi driver was overjoyed when my husband gave him a little more than we normally would because he said it was his first night driving his dad's taxi. All in all we found it be very relaxing in all respects and the people very warm.

Scotland
Level Contributor
228 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

I think Madeira is probably one of the least "rip off" places I have been to. People in the hotels and restaurants that I have visited seem to be genuinely interested in taking care of you. They don't expect a tip so it is up to you to reward good service if you want to. Prices are straightforward with no hidden extras.

I hope you will enjoy your trip.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

i agree with what Twigs and Edingirl say 100 percent.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

Thanks for the info, most helpful.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

I agree with all that has been said,we only ever tip if we have had good service would never tip if expected to do so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

Algarveaddict, you wouldn't get away with that in the USA! Tips are expected there because that is how the servers/waiters are mainly paid so the service is always reasonable. Years ago I made the mistake of punishing the chef by failing to leave a tip. The waiter put me right. Food is instantly replaced over there if you don't like it with none of the confrontation you get over here in the UK.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

I agree with all the comments. Food prices are very reasonable, service is excellent and never been ripped off in my 5 stays on the island (always at jardins do lago which is an excellent hotel). As for tipping in the hotel, its not expected and I don't think most people do it. However, we've always tended to just leave any loose change when we've paid the the bar bill or when we've had food/bar service round the pool or if we've used local taxis. We also tipped the porter a couple of euros, for lugging our very heavy bags, which they seemed more than happy with - probably because tips aren't expected.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

Thanks twiggy.

Still fuming that Sovereign stuffed us in Britain's worst airline (Which report) witha back packer's luggage allowance after booking 3 weeks at a five star hotel! My wife likes to dress nicely and I like my Laptop.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 20:40
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planes, Cars, Prices, Tipping and so forth

Can understand your wife's dilema. Thomas Cook is an awful airline. Have you asked Soverign whether they can change your flight over to TAP. They're a better airline and have a more generous hand luggage allowance. You can also upgrade (which we always do for the fast track service, lounges and better luggage allowance). The upgrade will allow you 30KG of checked luggage.

Madeira is one of the few places left where in the better hotels and restaurants people do still make an effort to dress for dinner. My experience was that most people did make an effort to dress for dinner at the Berrisford (the hotels restaurant). However, people do dress more casually in the tourist areas around the old town (which is a lovely place to eat out).

Get answers to your questions about Funchal
Recent Conversations