We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funchal versus Arco de Calheta

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Funchal versus Arco de Calheta

I've been to Funchal many times and am toying with trying a different location in Madeira. There are quite a few villas for rent in Arco De Calheta which I understand is a village above Calheta. I don't know anything about that area. Are there many restaurants and mini/supermarkets in the village itself? If not, are there many in Calheta? Is it as nice as Funchal?

I don't want to hire a car on holiday so I do want somewhere that 's either within walking distance of places to eat ,drink and buy supplies or a short taxi/bus ride away.

London, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Funchal versus Arco de Calheta

We have been to Arco da Calheta a good few times and it is really beautiful. The weather is generally much less cloudier than Funchal can be and there are 2 nice sandy beaches within a few minutes drive. There is a really superb restaurant - the Engenho Velho, in Ledo and it has beautiful sunset views.

There is a mini supermarket, fruit and veg shop, huge new sports and leisure centre, a few coffee bars and a nice historic church in Arco. If you like your art then there is also the Casa das Mudas art gallery, 5 minutes away, which is out of this world.

We prefer Arco to Funchal but some folk prefer the closeness to all the department stores, hotels, bars etc. that Funchal offers whereas we prefer the lovely scenery, natural beauty and sunshine that you get with Arco.

2. Re: Funchal versus Arco de Calheta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:18