We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Hi, I'm looking to book a place to stay for a week in mid-June but am wary of being slap bang next to a construction site. It's also the first time me and my partner will be having a week's holiday in a 4 or 5 star hotel & first visit to Madeira. Looking for somewhere with a pool with a luxurious feel, preferably a room with a sea view, outside dining area etc. It's a special occasion so looking for abit of perfection and luxury without stuffiness of some 5 star places, eg having to dress smart for dinner. Is this possible?? Undecided about doing B&B or all inclusive so any advice welcome.

Thanks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Hi i would suggest the Cliff Bay i think it has all you seem to want.It has two pools one in the hotel partly itself heated and in the Blue Lagoon to which you go by lift a great outdoor pool Almost all the rooms are with a sea view it is not stuffy staff excellent and not near any building sites.The dress code for The Rose garden is smart casual for dinner it has a Michelin Stared resturant which has a dress code but which i feel is not as good as the Rose Garden.It does not do all inclusive i eat half board there but there are many good eating places in Funchal.You can also eat outdoors for breakfast and dinner in June in fact i have had breakfast out doors in January.Another thought is the Melia in the Lido area have not stayed there [ allways at the Cliff Bay myself] but gets good reports so anyway have a nice time when you go.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Just back from Funchal and can reassure you on the construction front. The only major building going on was further out from the Forum centre near the Regency club and also a couple of sites on the road into Funchal near the former Savoy site. I don't think any hotels are affected, certainly none of the 5 star places.

As to B&B or all inclusive, there are so many good restaurants it would be a shame to limit yourself to your hotel and I would recommend B&B for Madeira every time. As to hotel choices there are loads of reviews on here. Some like Reids are possibly a bit on the stuffy side. I like the Pestana Promenade as it is modern with spacious rooms, all with sea views, and a great pool area. On the other hand it doesn't have some of the other services you expect in a high class hotel such as room service so you may prefer somewhere else that has these (at a cost of course). I am sure you will get plenty of recommendations.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

I agree that Cliff Bay would be a superb choice, no construction, but don't go all inclusive, there are so many restaurants to try all around the Island. Look at the reviews on the restaurants link here on TA. The other thing about all inclusive is that you will be limited to choice and also be denying local trade, many of whom are superb. Go around the Island and experience the local food and atmosphere.

Madeira has so much to offer, don't miss the chance to go round the Island and see the Real Madeira away from the Hotel zone.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Agree with the last post about A/I.So many good restaurants to choose from.You would find that if you did book A/I you would spend most of your time staying in the hotel grounds trying to get your "monies worth"

Depending on your budget,have a look at the Cliff Bay & the Melia Mare.Both 5* hotels but a big difference in price.I have stayed at both but if i had to recommend one i would say the Melia.Which ever you choose you will not be disappointed & you will be coming to a beautiful island.

Rob

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

I would also have a look at the Porto Mare. It is owned by the same people as the Cliff Bay.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Thanks for your replies so far everyone. Some of the suggestions were on my short list already (Pestana Promenade, Porto Mare, Cliff Bay). Did anyone have any opinions on the Enotel Lido Madeira (formerly Tivoli) or Eden Mar?

Is it suitable to walk from these places to restaurants and old town area fairly easy? Looks like it's about a 20-25 min walk?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Hi

Have a look at Porto Santa Maria, it`s in the Old Town so you have a short walk into Funchal and there are loads of restaurants right behind the hotel. Also next to the cablecar and buses

Edited: 15 May 2012, 04:26
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

Eden Mar, Residence and Porto Mare are all part of the same complex and so you have the chioce of using facilities for all three hotels, which means lots of nice gardens, good views and restaurants and about 5 pools. Beneath EdenMar is a shopping mal with large supermarket,shops and restaurants. Walking into Funchal city will be about 30 minutes, nice walk, but also bus service very close by into the City and also a regular bus (No 48) to Monte. There are numerous restaurants and bars there with menus to suit all tastes. You can also book tours and sea trips in that area as well. In front of the Porto Mare is the beginning of a lovely promenade walk which can take you all the way to Camera do Lobos if you wish, with many coffee stops on the way.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

I would say Porto santa Maria lovely hotel in best location if you want to be close to everything

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel choices/Current construction sites in Funchal

I agree, Porto Santa Maria 4* + Hotel would also be a good choice. You also have the added bonus of a small kitchen in your room, great for drinks, snacks etc., Adult only reservations accepted, over 16 years etc.,

This gives you an idea of the walk into Funchal Port Area from the Lido Area

www.love-madeira.com/lido-funchal-walk.php

love-madeira.com/…content-top

The 'Old Town' is then further walk on from the Port Area.

Which ever Hotel you decide upon will meet your requirements, all Hotels mentioned are excellent.

Have a great holiday and Enjoy !

Edited: 15 May 2012, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Funchal