We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Hertz car hire!

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Hertz car hire!

We have hired cars in europe and Africa for many years. However we had not encountered anything like the tactics Hertz use to extort money. When we returned home and received our credit card statement we were shocked to see the bill was 3 times what the original qoute was. We contacted Hertz customer services and they agreed an overcharge had been made. They then said it would take up to 10 days for Hertz Funchal to respond. Why? Because Hertz say that even tough the car hire centre has the company name spattered all over it is in fact just a franchise. After 10 days and no reply we asked them for an update and have been given another load of claptrap and nonsense. When we aked what the codes beside the charges stood for they said they did'nt know because the franchises all have different systems and they do not have access to them. We have informed our c/c provider to dispute the payment. So another case of emptor caveat.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

You would think that when you book through an international company like this, that you would be protected wouldn't you.

I bet it wasn't a cheap deal either.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Is it just my imagination or is car hire in Madeira a minefield fraught with all kinds of rip-offs? I know people don't come on here to tell us what a wonderful experience they have had hiring a car but there have been a worrying lot of negative posts recently and in the past. This kind of scam, particularly, when you only find out you've been ripped off a month later when you get your credit card bill is one of the worst.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 12:13
Sondrio, Italy
Level Contributor
238 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

I'm worried because I have booked a car with Hertz too...

I have already paid online (because the rate was lower) and I should not pay for other services.

Do you think that I could have a fraud risk?

What can i do??? I need a car for 2 days...

I used hertz in the past many times (I'm a gold member), without problems...

england
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

The issue here is that you are led to believe that you are dealing with the well known company of Hertz. As we said you are told you are by Hertz you are actualy dealing with a franchise. Which is odd because when I was waiting for the car to be prepared I had a conversation with the booking clerk who said he had worked for Hertz in Angola. You are left not knowing what or who to believe. As an aside to this we found driving in Madeira a nightmare. The roads are narrow and the only people who abide by the speed limit are visitors. I have driven in rush hour Lisbon and that was a picnic compared to this escapade.

funchal
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Every body have to hunderstand that many times a " Gold Card Member " is only to feed your "EGO" but many times the same "Gold Card Member " makes your pocket to be empty or with much less than you expect.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 20:10
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Madeira is not the easiest place to drive! Driving in the countryside is in my opinion easier as you meet less traffic and the majority of drivers are driving at a much slower pace. However, driving in and around Funchal and on the via rapida is not very enjoyable at all! There are many accidents on the via rapida and great care is needed when driving on them. Also, pedestrians should be aware that it is not wise just to start walking over a crossing and expect the vehicles to stop for you - make sure you stand at the kerb first and wait for the vehicles to stop before you start walking across.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
313 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

I had a similar experience with Avis in Madeira some years ago. They added unnecessary "compulsory" insurance that significantly upped the cost. At the time I was a corporate card holder and managed to get the extras refunded. Again the local operation is franchised! Haven't used them since though.

You would think multinationals would be more careful in protecting their names.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Madeira is not the easiest place to drive! Driving in the countryside is in my opinion easier as you meet less traffic and the majority of drivers are driving at a much slower pace. However, driving in and around Funchal and on the via rapida is not very enjoyable at all! There are many accidents on the via rapida and great care is needed when driving on them. Also, pedestrians should be aware that it is not wise just to start walking over a crossing and expect the vehicles to stop for you - make sure you stand at the kerb first and wait for the vehicles to stop before you start walking across.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
313 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Driving is OK in Madeira as long as you appreciate that most of the locals think they are either a racing or rally car driver. You need to have very sharp skills and eyes in the back of your head. A lot of accidents are caused by poor road design and engineering, the worst example being the Rapida exit for Cancela that gives exiting traffic the right of way when joining Est. Conde Carvalhal. I usually see an accident here every time I pass - the reason being that locals knowing they have right of way, do not even look to see if anything is coming on the road they are crossing. The victims are usually visitors and not aware that they should be giving way as the "Stop" signs get knocked over within days of being replaced each time and then do not get replaced for a long time. Just be very careful out there if driving

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware Hertz car hire!

Andy H - agree about that Rapida exit for Cancela, it is a total nightmare and very poorly designed. I can remember when this was first installed - nobody knew what they were suppossed to be doing or who had right of way - it is extremely dangerous and like you mention, there's always an accident there.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal