We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back - a few comments

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
399 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back - a few comments

We really enjoyed our 3rd holiday in Funchal (we last came in 2008 and 2009) and we will probably return again even though we hardly ever do that. It is just such a great place to relax - in great hotels, with great scenery, great weather and good food and drink. I have to say we paid about over 3 times as much for our flights this time and the hotels weren't cheap but it was July and I hear flights have gone up considerable lately.We paid £310 each for our Thomsons flights plus £30 each for luggage which hurt a bit I can tell you.

We stayed 3 nights at Cliff Bay as we had stayed there before and loved it but they didn't have the full week available at a price we could afford (260 euro a night rooms were all they had left. (we did book last minute) - so we went down to the Vine Hotel for 4 nights. We liked the look of the rooms there and thought it would be nice to wander around both areas during the week and The Vine was only 130 euros a night for a Junior Suite. We didn't do a great deal apart from go for walks and go on the cable cars up and over to Monte and the Botanical gardens and eat out every night but to be honest we were there to relax and it was a bit hot to do a great deal. It seemed far hotter than the 24 - 25 degrees that were forecast - but it was better than rainy England. My hotel reviews and restaurant reviews are all up now if anyone is interested in taking a look. Here is the Vine one but if you click on my name you should be able to find the others.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189167-d1…

Thank you to all the answers to my enquiries before we left.

ps. for all those who are wondering about prices - meals out were about 60 euros for 2 including wine but we never had deserts unless we were at the Armazem doing the set meal with wine for 35 euros per person. 2 gin and tonics (our tipple of choice) were anything between 6 euros at the blue welcome bar near the cathedral (furthest one down towards the sea) to 9.90 at the Teatro cafe or on the Marina. Beers were 1.5 to 2 euros. The Murahlos vino verde wine that we liked was just under 4 euros a bottle at the supermarket but there are obviously cheaper ones. Cigarettes were 3.80 I think or 3.60. We didn't find anything overpriced. Apart from the flights. :)

Mentioned in this post
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,385 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
England
England
United Kingdom
Hit the Road Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Food Tours
Madeira Wine Tours - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Cultural Tours
HM Borges
Wineries & Vineyards
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back - a few comments

good to hear you enjoyed Madeira again- there is a local saying that it has a hook, which brings people back time after time, certainly did for us, we ended up living here !!

I don't think anyone woud disagree with you about the flight costs, they are boardering on ridiculous, all these promises of cheap flights from easyJet and Jet2 were shortlived. Some of our family found TAP was amongst the cheapest from Gatwick and when we go to the UK use TAP to Lisbon and on to Manchester. At least they don't charge for luggage and food ! The exchange rate han't been very favourible for UK visitors over recent months and we see an increase of people from mainland where they already have euro currency.Hope you return to Madeira again soon, lovely place to be.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Wrexham
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Thanks for sharing your comments with us Jean. Have read all your hotel and restaurant reviews. Sounds as though you had a great time. Photos were great too.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Good report, Jean - will try to look at some of your reviews. Just one query: it's a lot cheaper to take a package with Thomson rather than booking flights with them (they can be very expensive just for flights) and then booking your hotel(s) separately. Thomson do list the Cliff Bay but maybe there were no rooms for the week you wanted.

I really don't understand flowercity's point about the "exchange rate hasn't been favourable for UK visitors over recent months". In fact, it's been the best-ever for nearly three years!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,168 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Thanks for posting jean-s and glad you enjoyed your return visit to beautiful Madeira. Flowercity is right about the Madeira hook, it's the only place I return to again and again.

I also enjoyed reading your reviews and seeing your photos. Cliff Bay and The Vine both have good reputations but are so different from each other and that must have made an interesting stay.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 09:25
Mentioned in this post
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,385 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Just as a matter of interest I've looked up package prices for the Cliff Bay for a similar week in 2013. Jet2 Holidays from Leeds-Bradford & Manchester are offering a week B&B for 2 people for £1,216 in a mountain view room while Thomson from Manchester is priced at £1,600 for 2 in an ocean view room. Being packages, both include baggage and transfers.

I'm glad I'm not a parent any more of children still at school - I was shocked at the prices for flights/holidays after today, ie at the start of the school holidays. Breathtaking!

I should probably add that for the same reason I'm glad I'm not a teacher.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,168 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back - a few comments

It was a very interesting way of seeing Funchal and booking separately still worked out cheaper than a Thomson's package considering the quality of the hotels (they didn't have Cliff Bay anyway) . I had a 10 % off code from Expedia and have been doing this for a very long time. :)

Glad you liked the photo's. Wasn't The Vine something? You just spend the first 2 days there walking around with your mouth open.

Mentioned in this post
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,385 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,768 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Glad to hear you had a good time jean-s. I love reading about other people's holidays. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Cliff Bay.

Wow just looked at your photos of the Vine it does look stunning.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 18:05
Mentioned in this post
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,168 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,385 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Thanks for the report jean interesting about the Vine however much prefer the Cliff Bay however being retired able to come when prices are a bit less dear feel however for folk who are tied to school holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,168 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,385 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Excellent report, the Vine looks a great hotel. I like the combination of the Cliff Bay & the Vine, totally different styles (I like both). Glad you enjoyed your stay, thanks for sharing.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel The Cliff Bay
Hotel The Cliff Bay
3,168 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,385 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back - a few comments

Well I had read a bit of criticism of The Vine on here but there is only one way to find out for sure isn't there - and actually go and stay there yourself. Or get Harry Hill to sort it out. ;)

Mentioned in this post
The Vine Hotel
The Vine Hotel
2,385 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal