We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too hilly?

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Is it too hilly?

My partner and I are looking for a holiday in January and have been considering Funchal but I am a bit concerned about how hilly it is as I have a problem with my knee. Can anyone recommend a hotel or is it totally unsuitable?

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too hilly?

On the seafront promenade down by the harbour and old town, its completely flat. My dad is 70 and needs surgery on his knees and he wandered from one end of the promenade to the other and around the backstreets of the funchal + the old town with no problems at all. It only gets really steep when you start to head out of Funchal and into the hills. There is a hotel right on the promenade by the cable car. I think its called the porto santa Maria but I'm sure someone will be able to confirm its name. Most of the hotels that are further out of funchal centre lay on free buses to the centre during the day.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too hilly?

Yes - the hotel beside the cable car is 'Porto Santa Maria'. I have never stayed there but it looks very impressive from outside and gets excellent reviews.

The location is not in any way hilly and there is an abundance of restaurants, bars and shops all within walking distance. The very popular Madeira Story Centre is also very near the hotel.

There is an excellent bus service and taxis are reasonably priced and in abundance.

Have a great holiday whatever you decide.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 17:33
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too hilly?

The Porto Santa Maria Hotel is in one of the best locations in Funchal for the less mobile visitor to the island.

thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/portugal/m…

Easy direct flat access to the promenade with a flat walk down to the Port Area. Lots of seats to take a rest along the way.

Flat walk into the City and Market Area of Funchal. Cable Car, Madeira Story Centre, Taxis and Buses all very close by.

Lovely hotel, great staff and good breakfasts. Lots of eating places just outside the hotel gates.

www.portobay.com/hotel.aspx?areaId=231

Edited: 19 August 2012, 17:36
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too hilly?

Even if you go into the Lido area , most hotels have a courtesy bus, but there are also numerous cheap buses and taxis close by. Many restaurants and lovely walks from below Edem Mar ( a fab Hotel) which take you as far as Camara do Lobos.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too hilly?

Thank you so much for the information. It is most helpful. I feel I can really seriously consider this destination now.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it too hilly?

Porto Santa Maria is in an excellent and flat location, we stayed there in June2011 and 2012. Can`t recommend it highly enough. There are lifts to all floors inside and no stairs or slopes outside. Directly behind the hotel are loads of restaurants and it`s a flat walk along the seafront 9past the buses and cable car) to the centre of Funchal.

Lots to do in Funchal itself, there are inclined streets in the centre but the main areas and attractions are flat. There are plenty of cabs around if you wish to visit somewhere that`s a bit steep. Have a great holiday!

Edited: 20 August 2012, 04:48
Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it too hilly?

Four View Monumental in the lido area is also good if you have walking difficulties we stayed there this year and last. Hotel on level street with bus stop and taxi rank outside and local tour company just outside hotel.Great views from pool on 4th floor.

8. Re: Is it too hilly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Funchal