We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Football

Anyone ever been to a match in Madeira? What`s the atmosphere like? There`s a Maritimo game at home when we hope to visit next March, how would we get tickets or could we just turn up and pay on the day?? Any links to the stadium that you know of (in English!)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football

Just google Maritimo Madeira & you will find all the relevant links.On your google toolbar use the translate icon to convert to English.I should imagine you can just turn up at the match & gain admission.

Rob

Edited: 27 August 2012, 18:28
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,304 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Football

You won't have any problem getting tickets at the entrance, just turn up, word of advice though, either walk or take a taxi, there is very little parking except on the street.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,482 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football

Do check the date and time of the match when you are there. Most matches are rescheduled for live TV broadcast.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Football

no 8 yellow bus from Funchal to right outside the ground -its a long hot uphill walk to the stadium

good atmosphere but be ready for the DRUMS!!!

there is a club shop in Funchal close to Madeira Story ,depending on who the visiting team is ,you may be able to get a cheaper ticket during the week in the shop

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Football

Thanks for the advice everyone. I`ve never been to footie abroad, should be good. I`ll watch out for the drums!!! And we`ll look for the football shop near the cablecar, where is it exactly, does anyone know the address?

I`m used to fixtures being altered for tv (being a Spurs fan it happens to about half our matches every season) so we`ll bear it in mind

Caroline

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,304 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Football

Rua do Carlos, you can't miss it, it leads onto the Old Town and the shop is opposite where the Sam buses leave.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Football

cags - if you do manage to get to a game please come back on and let us know your thoughts. Always wanted to get to a game in Madeira but we're always there close season !

Visited the club shop last year - have to say it was a bit disappointing. Didn't have a great deal of merchandise on sale.

On our first visit to Madeira in 1997 we stumbled on the shop by accident and they let us visit the trophy room upstairs.

Have a great time.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Football

Not the SAM Buses - the yellow city buses

Address and phone number if you need it

Rua D.Carlos I

9064 - 505

+351 291 205 000

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Football

Stewy,

Bet there were more trophys on show than at Celtic Park!!

Rob

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Football

Rob - how could you..? And I thought we were friends.

Maritimo have a HUGE number of trophies on display...really not sure what any of them were for tho.....think they are/were a general sports club (like Sporting Lisbon) so probably for things like volleyball, cycling, running etc.

Didn't spot the European Cup in amongst it ; ))