We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

We have booked a stay at the Porto Santa Maria in December, hoping for a relaxing break. Today we received an e mail from the hotel stating that 'improvement works are being held near the hotel as part of a european co-funded project ...to re-channel the city's water streams ....after the storm distubances in February 2010........the works will be done 3 meters below the hotel's ground level'

We have booked a sea view room with the intention of sitting out on the balcony regularly. Can anyone advise what disturbance these works are making for hotel guests?

Many Thanks

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

I would ask them when exactly this takes place and when it stops and close to what part of the hotel (I think the western part), but I don't think it will be hugely disturbing, as it will be at the ocean below the wall that separates the hotel grounds from the ocean and the balconies aren't terribly close to the ocean. Good luck.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

We were there 2 weeks ago and it was fine but they were not right in front of the hotel then, if it is below the wall your view should be ok but might be noisy!

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

From what I have witnessed from the waterfront webcam ,it does not look very close to the hotel at the moment .There were several diggers and lorries removing rubble .Perhaps one of the locals who post on this site will be able to advise you .

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Thanks for the replies so far. This is our first visit to Madeira and we are really looking forward to a restful stay. Will wait to see if any locals have any further info, if not will follow dutchguy's advice.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

This is what the long thread "seafront" here is all about. One says the works take 2 years and others say the Hotel is not affected.

On the webcam (number 12 at www.madeira-web.com , webcams) one can see that it takes place next to the marina. That's some 600 meters from the hotel. I would say, keep watching these webcams before you go, so as to have an idea.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Thanks again dutchguy. Have checked out the seafront thread and webcam 12. Looks like there will be some disturbance in mid December when we go but the works have to be done sometime and the sooner the better if safety is to be improved. I will e mail the hotel to check the times of day expected to be affected. At least they are offering some recompense.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

I started the seafront thread and the work is going to take 2 years to complete. The project started off as EU money to improve the drainage so that madeira does not suffer the same terrible flood damage as it did a few years ago. Money for landscapring the seafront comes as part of that package. In addition however, the president secured extra funds to improve and extend the marina and cruise ships docking area.

I personally think it will be well worth it in the end but like all major projects, lots of mess and disruption in the meantime. If it helps, the works seemed to stop around 4.30 most days and no work was done on Saturday afternoon or Sunday when we were there three weeks ago. Also, as I said in the "seafront" thread, the bulk of the work was at the other end of the promenade not by the hotel. If you do change hotels I highly recommend Quinta Jardins do lago if you're looking for a tranquil oasis.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 22:25
england
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

we was there last week it was very bad lots of work right in front of the hotel

newmarket,suffolk
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

We walked past the front of the hotel yesterday afternoon (19th) and there was a lot of noise from lorries tipping rubble into the sea or onto the jetty they seem to be making(one of several).There was a digger trying to level the area.This is not directly in front of the hotel but very close to it.I don't know what hours they work but saw movement there today(20th).

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Works very near Porto Santa Maria Hotel

There is an alarming report concerning the works on the seafront on www.madeiraislanddirect.com, with news of an apparent falling out between the Regional Government and Funchal Municipal Council.

There is also an article about local island politics which doesn't make happy reading, with some interesting comments on the situation.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal