We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
65 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

My husband and I will be arriving via ship in Funchal in November and spending a day on the island. What should we add to our list of Must See/ Must Do's while there? From reviews it sounds like Cabo Girao is closed to construct a viewing platform. I should note, we are Not interested in large bus tours, shopping or canyoning (don't think I have the upper body strength for it...). But we do enjoy great scenery, waterfalls, historic sites and seeing the real people and life of Madeira. Suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Cabo Girao
Cabo Girao
4,744 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

It is best to contact a taxi driver who will pick you up in port. A day tour costs between 100-120 Euro (a lot less than in other countries).

The West Tour is the best )I think).

see for example www.madeirataxis.com and www.taximadeira.com but there are more , if you google.

Joining a minibus tour would be cheaper but you don't know if they are back in time.

On an East tour you could get up to 2nd highest peak but won't see any waterfalls.

A West Tour will follow the route the minibuses also take, like www.lido-tours.com and you'd have time to stroll around Sao Vicente and Porto Moniz and cross over the high plain Paul da Serra. Your driver will know how to make the best of your day.

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Minnesota
Level Contributor
65 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

Thank you for taking the time to respond, but I was looking for more specific sites. Such as "you must see ...." and "go to ...." Trying to build a specific To Do list what others have liked best or believe to be highlights of the city.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

Have a look at www.cm-funchal.pt. It is the city council's website and has lots of must do suggestions. You can click on 'en' in the toolbar to read it in English.

Your question has been asked many times before and you could look at previous suggestions on The Forum for what to do in a day when arriving by cruise ship.

4. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 11:56
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

A " must-see " list would be at www.madeira-web.com (places to see).

I'll search for more websites

Edited: 23 October 2012, 16:54
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

Another is www.madeiraguide.co.uk

The most important sights are indeed all there.

Under Funchal you see a "must see" of Funchal.

Although Cabo Girao is famous, I think the viewpoint at www.eiradoserrado.com is nicer and a lot less touristy.

Mentioned in this post
Funchal
Funchal
Madeira, Portugal
Cabo Girao
Cabo Girao
4,744 Reviews
Madeira, Portugal
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

You can easily see the sights by hop-on hop-off bus,

see following link for all info

city-sightseeing.com/tours/…funchal.htm

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

The "things to do" list here on Tripadvisor on the left is a great source of course, actually the best one.

One website that has a lot of info about museums is www.madeira-island.com

particcularly www.madeira-island.com/museums/index.html

but more info about other things too.

BTW, the reason why I wrote about a full-day taxi is that a tour across the island seems to be the nicest thing to me to see the island in one day.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 17:36
9. Re: One day in Funchal - What are must see, must do's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:15