We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obsessed with Madeira

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Obsessed with Madeira

hi --- looking for some experts-- just returned from Hawaii -- and well, it was NOTHING compared to what I experienced in Madeira. If anyone is familiar, they have these "revealed" books that tell you secret hikes, pools, etc. Is there anywhere I can get information like that for Madeira? Just spent an hour looking at satellite views of the coastline, and there are so many amazing looking spots....anyone know what that pool looking thing is on the east where the 103 meets the 101. Can't wait to go back in July!

London, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obsessed with Madeira

Might be the open air swimming pool on the coast in Porto da Cruz.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Obsessed with Madeira

If it is Porto da cruz it's my favourite spot on the whole island, sitting at the cafe next to the beach watching the waves roll in and the scenery on both sides with the sun coming down while supping a coral.

Almost brings a tear to the eye am missing it.

Got told if you walk around the headland the hollow where the waves crash over the top if you want to get past without getting wet apparently 1 in 7 waves goes over so count them and good luck.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obsessed with Madeira

Wow, I just googled it... that place looks amazing. Definetely on the list. Found some walking trail books on amazon uk. Hope some are coastal...it's the water I want! Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obsessed with Madeira

Sounds like you would appreciate the walk from Riberio Frio to Portela which ends with stunning high up views of Eagles rock at Porto da Cruz.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Obsessed with Madeira

Zurich72, if you like coastal walks, there's one high above the ocean, to Porto da Cruz (which indeed has a swimming pool by the ocean, I walked there, a nice walk).

For that coastal path google BOCA DO RISCO. You find youtube videos and walk descriptions. There's one in the Sunflower book.

I once asked a German hiker, who had been to Madeira even much more often than me, what her favourite walk was and she said it was that one.,

6. Re: Obsessed with Madeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Funchal