We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos, current situation?

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
15 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos, current situation?

We are going to Madeira on 21st Jan. This will be our 7th time as we absolutely love this island and had been looking forward to it. But I am disturbed to hear of the mosquito problem, was not aware of it until today. We are staying in the Lido area and do enjoy levada walking, I am always popular with biting insects whatever precautions I take but have never been bitten here. Does anyone know the current situation please?

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
Madeira Islands, Portugal
AllenGAllenG
Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

See post under Mosquito Outbreak (Denge)

Last posting under this heading was on 9th January basically reporting little mozzie activity,but it is still recommended that you take appropriate precautions.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

Spent 2weeks in the Lido area over Christmas and New Year and had no problems .

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

This is the topic referred to.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189167

The cooler weather has reduced the problem as always happens with mossy's every year, but as suggested, just take sensible precautions and enjoy your holiday

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

not another mossy thread aaaargh!,,,,,

5. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 22:05
6. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

We have recently returned from two weeks in Madeira. We were very aware of the mosquito situation before we went, so used a plug in repellent in our hoel room. We also washed in BodyShop lemon soap/shower gel and the result was zero bites.

I would not worry too much about the mosquitos, Trekwise and

I hope this puts your mind to rest. Have a good holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira
8. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

Edited: 15 January 2013, 22:05
EU
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

Why are posts always removed when this subject is up for discussion?

London
Level Contributor
93 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos, current situation?

Hello,

I was one of the people who spent Xmas and New Year in Madeira and out of a party of 10, only 1 person was bitten twice. We've been back for 2 weeks now and the bites turn out to be simple mossie bites. A little annoying, but no other effects whatsoever.

Mentioned in this post
Madeira
Madeira