We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira

Had a great holiday my friend Bobby liked it as well.Weather great sunny warm and windy over 70 some days.Did visits to Porto Moniz etc the north by Marco tours visited the Palmerio Gardens windy but nice.Went to a resturant in the mountains for a meal one night good.Madeira is quiet signs of what i would call in Funchal the effects of the economic situation.On a visit near the Pestana Grand saw some nice eating places for sale or just shut empty etc.a sign of the times i am afraid .Outside Funchal quiet even for January same in Funchal.i am afraid.Cliff Bay busy as usual excellent other hotels very quiet i am told a few shut and may never reopen. Beerhouse quiet Golden Gate busy but not that busy.Did not visit The Ritz we did not fancy it.All in all a lovely holiday realy the best place to go for a holiday.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira

Thanks for the update Bob. Glad you and Bobby had a good time and that the weather was good. There has been a lot in the news lately about problems wth snow at the airports but fortunately sounds like you were not affected. A nice time of the year to escape the cold here.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira

Thanks for your post Bob. I am glad you and your friend Bobby had such a good holiday. The weather on webcam over the weekend certainly seemed very pleasant. It is ironic you should mention Beerhouse not being busy as I observed when looking at webcam that the place looked rather deserted. It is quite worrying that hotels and restaurants are having to close - sign of the times as you say.

Not sure if you will be back at Cliff Bay before i am there (August) - having stayed at Cliff Bay once I don't see myself staying at any other hotel now - as others, whilst good, don't have 'the edge' that Cliff Bay has.

The West of Scotland has got off quite lightly as regards the adverse weather. I take it there were no problems with your flights.

I am at home today nursing a stinker of a cold - going to have a look at webcam to see if it cheers me up any.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira

Nice to hear you enjoyed your latest holiday Bob. After the hectic Christmas and New Year when you could hardly get a table anywhere, Funchal felt very quiet afterwards. However I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of visitors - Madeira is fortunate to have a year-round tourist trade, unlike so many other destinations.

Also the cruise ships are still calling, which must help. Down in The Old Town there are new bars and restaurants popping up all the time, including the new Taberna da Esquina which is under the same ownership as Gaviao Novo and looks lovely, although haven't tried it yet.

The Old Town seems more vibrant than ever. I guess it's a destination in itself so everyone who stays in Funchal or just visits for the day ends up going there at some stage. I think The Doors Project made a huge difference, you can hardly get through Rua Santa Maria for trying to avoid people taking photos.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira

Pleased you had a good holiday Bob .You were fortunate to not have your flight delayed , as I believe the Monday Manchester to Funchal flight, which should have arrived in Funchal at 1pm, did not arrive until after 5pm .Those people returning to Manchester on Monday would have had a long wait at the airport .

Hope you are dealing with the cold weather back home .

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madeira

Glad to hear you had a good time Bob and that the Cliff Bay is still as busy as ever. Trying to decide whether to go there in June or Cyprus or somewhere different entirely.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madeira

I would recommend Madeira TwigsOxford

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madeira

Twigs the Cliff Bay is even better than before going in June for a fortnight then in November for a week all going well.My friend Bobby liked a it lot she flies home Thursday to Canada see forecast is very cold there i think it will be an even bigger shock than i got when i got home here.Laptop hope the cold gets better.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 20:54
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madeira

Bob, you will be back in Cliff Bay before I will if you are going in June- I'm quite envious LOL. I am really pleased to have got the 10 night deal from Manchester. As I said before I don't think 10 or 11 night deals from Scotland to Madeira will ever be an option.

I believe some renovations at Cliff Bay have been done since last summer.

Still waiting for lemsip to 'kick in'.

9. Re: Madeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 19:35
10. Re: Madeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 19:35