We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Lido' reconstruction update

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
'Lido' reconstruction update

The Madeira Newspaper Diario de Noticias reports that the first phase of the reconstruction of the popular Funchal Lido ocean front swimming/bathing complex will be complete in August 2013.

This is great news for all sea water swimming fans and everyone who loved any or all the aspects of the Lido.

link to article:

dnoticias.pt/impressa/diario/381869/madeira/…

The Lido complex in Funchal was one of the best on Madeira Island. The complex included a large and small seawater pools that were filled daily and there was access to the sea. The complex offered sun beds, parasols, a kindergarten, table tennis, a diving centre, slides, shops, restaurant, 3 snack bars, lifeguards, changing rooms with lockers and more.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

Thanks for that Paul . I am delighted to hear that great news .Can't wait for the Lido to be up and running again .

I noticed the Lido area webcam this morning had many people sunbathing and swimming in the sea so to have the complex opening in just a few months will be fantastic for the area .

Swansea
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

Can you give any more information on what's included in phase 1 & when all phases will be fully complete ?

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

I may have misunderstood the article, but I think it says the first phase will be completed by August 2014. I thought it was rather optimistic to think the work could be done in just a few months!

The good news is that there will be free access outside the bathing season - as at The Barreirinha Lido - the downside is that the pool size will be reduced. But better than nothing.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

From what I can see at the site, it is only work being carried out on the West side of the former Lido area, I understand that the original pool is not up for reconstruction until next year. The logistics of that repair will be a nightmare and I suspect can only be done from the sea side, costs, last estimate I saw, had gone up to €6million, so where that money will come from is anyone's guess. The current reconstruction appears to have some walkways and developing some sea access, whether they plan cafes or not I do not know.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

Flowercity is right, they are only working on the west side of the Lido complex. When we were there they were working at the top of a flight of about 6 steps. Can't remember if they were there before or not, but, they looked new.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

Hope this project goes well will see what i think of it in June all going well.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

I don't think we will see a new lido for a long time but it looks as though they have made a start on the surrounding area .Looking forward to inspecting it on my visit in 2 weeks time .

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

With a bit of luck Mike you should be able to inspect it from your balcony-:)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

Absolutely nothing happening at the Lido so don't hold your breath.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Lido' reconstruction update

Thats not a surprise to hear Phil.

Rob

Get answers to your questions about Funchal