We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road works near promenade hotel

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
32 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Road works near promenade hotel

I have heard that there are road works near the promenade hotel, We are due to spend a week there starting the 17th May, Next Friday, oh dear should I be worried ? I was expecting peace and quiet, anybody got any first hand knowledge?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

Queen_Mary - I have never stayed at the promenade but agree it is ideally situated. Have stopped to pick up/drop off guests when I have been on tours.

As regard the works going on in the area, it is perhaps a case of the Council using (rather than losing) funding available before the end of a financial year/period. Just a thought.

Anyway, happy packing -( I'm just a tad jealous as I'm about to start on a mountain of work which I brought home on Friday. )

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

Thanks Laptop and even with everything said about the construction work, I still can't wait to get there. We did at one time consider going out this week. My cousin is there at the moment and with his reports back and also looking at the webcam the weather looks perfect for the Flower Festival.

Have a good time Mike and everyone else out there at the moment.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

Hi Corka

You were after first hand knowledge. I can now report back as I'm currently staying at The Promenade. I was also worried about the noise from the construction of the new road before we arrived. No need to, at the moment it's perfect peace and quiet here.

Must dash just off to Reid's for the garden tour and afternoon tea. It's a tough life!!

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

Good to hear that you are having a great time qm.Off to Reids eh.Just had a vending machine tea in the pouring rain at work.

Have a good holiday.

Rob

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

QM...stop showing off. Its not big and its not clever ; )

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

Hi QM

Hope you had a wonderful tea at Reids this afternoon and you also enjoyed the Garden Tour.

Look forward to further updates during your stay.

Have a great relaxing time on Madeira Island.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

Can't wait to hear how you get on at Reids for tea and the garden tour QM. Continue to enjoy your holiday.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

I've had a good walk round at the Promenade and as far as I can tell the construction work is unnoticeable to anyone staying at the moment. I've been told that there will be no further work to the rest of the road, so the section that passes Enotel, Melia, Porto Mare etc will stay as is. Apparently the work is due to finish by mid-June so I assume that is when the road will become one-way and will be used for traffic heading East towards town.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 17:12
Hessle, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

We have never been to Madeira before and were thinking of booking the Porto Santa Maria in September. Will this hotel be effected by the work?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,756 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Road works near promenade hotel

The works at the Promenade area are the opposite end of Funchal to the Porto Santa Maria Hotel and should be completed in the next month. However there are some reconstructions in the area of PSM but they should not be too disruptive in September, this topic may help if you read it. I would also add that if you found that any noise was impacting on a holiday there, the Management are very good and would help you to move to another part of the Hotel or one of their other hotels in Funchal. I was at the PSM hotel last week and there were visitors in rooms overlooking the works towards the cable car so the noise presumably is not too bad and anyway you don't stay in your room 24/7. If you decide on that hotel it is a fab place surrounded bu excellent eating places and close to the City centre.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189166