We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeira

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Madeira

Just returned from a lovely holiday in Madeira..Weather not bad especially if you go into mountains above the cloud by jeep as i did a few times.Hotel Cliff Bay wonderful as usual.Island busy with festival but signs of shall we say bad times shops shut etc.Went trips by bus to Calheta and Ribiro Brava nice.As usual went trips arranged by Marco a great guy by jeep and one of his tours to Calheta etc.Happy Tours is a great company it still has 2 offices the main one being in the Monumental Lido Complex.Visited the Beerhouse Golden Gate Theatre Cafe all good as usual.Found a great bar next to Marcos new office Barrichios or something like it worth a visit .Bars etc seemed busy glad to say even Hole in One which i dont like but locals i know say people are not spending as much as usual sign of the times.No mossies about or very few but who knows later.A great holiday cant wait to return in November all going well.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeira

Good to hear you arrived home safely ,as there were some problems with landing at Funchal airport yesterday .

Sounds as though you had a great holiday once again .It is so good to get high up above the clouds into sunshine ,with fantastic views .

I am sure you will be off on your travels again soon and then back to Madeira in November .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeira

Yes Mike very wet at Funchal Airport yesterday some planes over shot i believe weather yesterday more like Jan than June very wet hope it clears up but i got home okay .

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeira

Glad you had a good time Bob.

Scotland
Level Contributor
228 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madeira

Glad to hear you enjoyed Madeira and the Cliff Bay again Bob. Good to know that the place is busy. I am looking forward to going in September and like others am counting down the weeks! Might try a jeep trip this time. It would be something new. It's amazing how there is always something different to try even when you have been so many times before.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 10:33
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madeira

Welcome back Bob, glad you had another great stay at the Cliff Bay. Jeep tours are a good way to get up into the mountains and experience those wonderful views.

6. Re: Madeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:35
Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madeira

Bob: Interesting that you compared the rain with being "more like January than June". In fact, according to the average annual rainfall figures I've got, January is only the sixth wettest month, "beaten" (in order of rainfall in millimetres) by November 89mm, December 84, March 79, October 76 and February 74, with January at 64mm.

But as we all know, probably best not to rely on historice figures or future forecasts - certainly insofar as Madeira (with its micro-climates) is concerned.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madeira

Hi Bob. Glad your holiday went well. It would appear that the Glasgow flight was not too adversely affected by the problems at Funchal airport yesterday.

I have never done a jeep trip before - on my 'to do' list for next visit.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madeira

Pleased your holiday went well Bob. Won't be long till November. Where did you go on your Jeep safaris? I've already done one to the west and wondering which one you would recommend.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madeira

Hi Calderglen i would suggest the East tour round Santana Punta Delgarda etc you see the best of the laurel forest there i would use Marco to book it he uses the best company to do it he can advise on details have a nice holiday.