We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

I usually get bitten by insects on holiday, ending up with a nasty reaction to each bite. This is despite using a suitable spray and taking allergy tablets! Is an anti-mosquito plug-in a must for my hotel room?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

You can find all sorts of stories here about mosquitoes. Fact is that in 12 visits I never had any trouble, let alone inside a hotel room. At home I do easily get bitten. On Madeira I only wear short sleeves and shorts.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,008 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

I would definately recommend a plug-in and also Vit B supplement is good, but use a deterent such as the Avon skinsosoft oil, also lemon body lotion seems to help. I would also suggest reading the other threads relating to mossies, just put mosquitos in the TA serch engine or scroll down until you find one. There were problems over the last few years but Councils have been very pro-active in educating residents re standing water etc, hopefully this year will be better.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 18:09
Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

Just returned from Madeira yesterday. We were staying near Formoza beach in western Funchal, and we did it all - levadas, town visits, public buses, beach, pool... Encountered mozzies only once when we tried to sit on our veranda very late (about midnight); noticed one sitting on my cheek. We then quickly moved inside and killed a couple that flew into our room. We didn't try to sit outside at night anymore, and no insect bothered us. No bites after the trip, but we'll surely get them now in Finland!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

Same as dutchguy.Dont think i have ever seen one,never mind been bitten by one.

We do levada walking & sit out on the balcony playing cards late on.

I know we are all different but we wont take any plugs or lotions with us.

Rob

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

Been here almost a week, no problems with mossies so far(touches large piece of wood!)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Hi when i was in Madeira a few weeks ago no problem with mossies however in my bathroom in the Cliff Bay was a mossie killer spray i think when i return all going well in November i will use deet and a plug in.It is up to each person to make up your own minds but locals i know say hopefully the problem is away but it is better to take steps to try to avoid trouble better sure than sorry.Calderglen hope you avoid mossies have a nice time.

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks everyone. I'll think err on the side of caution and take a plug-in. My reaction to bites isn't pretty. Will also buy some Vit B - hadn't heard this recommendation before (I've got the Skin So Soft lotion). I seem to be a magnet for biting beasties while my lucky husband never gets bitten! Roll on Monday...

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos

I have been in Funchal for a couple of weeks now and have had a couple of bites. Killed half a dozen using an electrically charged tennis racket sold at the Chinese stores in Funchal.

Solihull, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos

We have found same experience though more like Midges than mosquitoes. I seem mire able to tolerate them whilst my wife tends to react quite badly to the 'bites'.

Solihull, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos

Awoke today and have added 4 more bites to yesterday's. I no longer boast that they leave me alone. I am now reacting those to those who don't 'stay lucky'!

Get answers to your questions about Funchal