We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a toddler

York
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with a toddler

We are on our 8th visit to Madeira in three weeks. Last year, our little boy was only 7-months-old and found it relatively easy. However this year, he is 19-months-old and we were wondering what there is to entertain him. This year we're 'dragging' the grandparents along with us too!!!

We are staying at The Residence Porto Mare and we have the swimming pool, the wonderful creche, the small play area and mini golf inside the complex but have no idea what there is on offer out and about.

I am aware of a 'theme park'. Is this a good place to spend the day with a toddler? Anyone got any other suggestions?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a toddler

The theme park at Santana is not the kind with lots of rides etc. It has local skill workshops, a small playground, boating lake and a couple of restaurants plus other attractions. This is the website with info, just click on the link at the top left 'discover the park' for details of what is there.

www.parquetematicodamadeira.pt

There is an aquapark near Santa Cruz but not too much differant to the one along the coastal walk near Porto Mare (Ponta Gorda)

aquaparque-stcruz.webnode.pt

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a toddler

The Porto Mare will be ideal for your toddler and when toddlers are happy , parents are happy .Finding it a bit of a struggle to think of much to entertain elsewhere for a child of 19 months .There is always Catarina Park with the Swans ,fountains , playground and grassed areas to run around .

York
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a toddler

Never thought about Catarina Park. Although, struggling to remember the park but my husband clearly does! Thank you for the replies. Not bothered about the theme park not having rides - just enough to see, interest him and do for a few hours. Think we'll give the water park a miss as I think he's too young to enjoy it thoroughly. Is there a park next to Quinta Jardin Hotel - or something similar to that name!!!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a toddler

www.jardins-lago.pt/en/our-gardens

Hoe easy non-guests can get in , I don't know. At Reid's only by a tour

Shrewsbury, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with a toddler

Hi there,

I was hoping to rack your brains now you've been and come back with a toddler! I have a 17-month-old and am 6 months pregnant with number two, and am planning a trip to Funchal in February. I'm planning on doing a nice little boat trip with him, along with the standard swimming and fun-times you have with a toddler in the sunshine, but I'm a little apprehensive about the creche facilities and childcare in the hotels... can you shed any light for me? How good is the care? Did you feel totally comfortable with it? Would you have left your children alone in their care or did you stay with them during playtime? Sorry for all the anxious questions! :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we're currently looking at the VIDAMAR resort, though Porto Mare was also on the cards.

Thanks!

Jess

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with a toddler

Jessica A - I suggest you send the original poster a personal message by clicking on her name ' getawaychick ' . You will see a list of her forum posts .Scroll down to 'send message ' .When you click on it a message box will appear . She may not be reading this forum and therefore will not see your question but will be made aware of a personal message .

I stay at the Porto Mare where there is an entertainment team who provide a programme of activities for children age 4 to 12 years of age .There is a playroom for parents to take younger children to , which has a range of super toys ideal for toddlers . I think you need to obtain a key from the Spa to enter , and return it after you have finished in there . I apologise if I am wrong but I do not think they provide childcare for children under 4 years of age .

The Porto Mare is an excellent hotel . Good luck .

Edited: 16 January 2014, 07:34
Funchal
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with a toddler

There is also "Madeira Magic", not far from Madeira Forum (along the Promenade). Give it a try !

Shrewsbury, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with a toddler

Thank you for your replies - I'll do both! Much appreciated!

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do with a toddler

Old bread! Always carry some with you and you can feed pigeons around Funchal, the fish in the marina and the ducks and swans in the park. It amused my son when we were there in November when he was 2 and half.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with a toddler

mazza02 - Great idea .St Catarina Park is beautiful all year around , with the views of the harbour ,the fountains ,swans ,birds ,flowers ,children 's playground etc .