We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday in Madeira

Chorley
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday in Madeira

I'm going to Madeira with my boyfriend on Monday and its my birthday on wednesday. Any ideas what we can do during the day? We also hear that swordfish is a good local dish which sounds great...any particular restaurant please? Thanks

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday in Madeira

You have posted twice, but I would recommend these places for fish

Moby Dick ( Lido Area) . they have a hotel pickup and return if you are in the Funchal area

Estrada Monumental 9000 Funchal

291 776 868

Vila do Peixe Camara De Lobos, great restaurant overlooking the fishing bay, also do Hotel pickup

http://www.viladopeixe.com if you click on the Union Jack in the top right hand corner you get the English language version

Hope you have a great birthday...

Edited: 03 August 2013, 16:10
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday in Madeira

Although swordfish (espardarte) is widely available in Madeira, it is actually scabbard fish (espada) which is the Madeiran speciality. They are often confused but are totally different fish.

I don't know where you are staying, but Gavaio Novo in Funchal'sThe Old Town (Rua Santa Maria) is famous for its fresh fish, and its new sister restaurant Taberna da Esquerna a couple of doors up is also very good. In my opinion Taberna is slightly more sophisticated.

But for a special birthday treat you can't get much better than Ristorante Cipriani, part of Reids Palace, not cheap but fantastic, with a view to die for.

Chorley
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday in Madeira

Thanks...new tablet and first TA post..cant work out how to delete it sorry! Staying near the lido..thanks for your help!! :-)

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday in Madeira

Hi PartyPaula. No problem, I've requested it to be removed.

It's not immediately obvious but if you want to remove a post in future, hit 'Report inappropriate content' at the bottom right of your post. A 'Choose a reason' box will then appear with a dropdown arrow, from there hit 'Duplicate posting'.

Have a great time in Madeira and hope you enjoy your birthday.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday in Madeira

I would agree that Villa Cipriani is good for a birthday treat. Restaurante Do Forte is also really nice especially if you can get a turret table looking out to sea.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday in Madeira

Agree with above. Also, at the Forte you can get a vintage car home if you want to.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday in Madeira

Cannot disagree with any of the restaurants that have been mentioned,but depending on your boyfriends budget & with you staying in the lido area you will not go far wrong by dining at O,Chefe.

If you read the reviews you will see how highly people rate it & enjoy it,including myself.

Rob

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday in Madeira

Yes O'Chef is another great restaurant above the Pingo Doce supermarket at Eden Mar shopping, called O'chef steakhouse and sea food bar, it has outside seating and the food is exceptional. Last week we were there with friends and I had fillet steak and prawns (surf and turf in the UK and my husband had steak on the stone - it was steak 'melt in the mouth' - absolutely fab. They do also do great seafood dishes.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday in Madeira

Another vote for O'Chef. Very comprehensive menu and food beautifully presented. Staff are very attentive. I don't usually visit the same restaurant twice in the course of one holiday; however, I did, last year, make a repeat visit to O'Chef.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday in Madeira

If you fancy fine dining , there is the Med restaurant within the Porto Mare Hotel /Complex .( Lido area )

We also enjoy O'Chefe's Restaurant , a great atmosphere there .