We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City break?

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
City break?

We have some time off in mid November and fancy a little holiday. We do not like sitting by a pool for days. Our holiday are always cities and we fancy something different. Would there be eniught to see and do for a long weekend?

Also, what city is Funchal similar to in size/ things to do?

Thanks once again

L

Ps we are a couple in our late 30s. We are not drinkers, but do like cake.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City break?

problem is flights for a long weekend, plenty enough to do though

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City break?

I think it would be a lovely place for a long weekend if you can get flights to suit. For ideas of what there is to do go to www.madeira-web.com and click on things to do.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City break?

I think Monarch fly from Birmingham on a Friday , returning on a Monday .

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City break?

Funchal for sure is very different. But having read your profile I am not sure if it's for you.

It is not "big" on museums and in any case requires a deep interest in Portugal and Portuguese art )though there's some Flemish art in the museum of holy art).

I think it is more a city for nature lovers, with all it's parks.

May be better Lisbon and Sintra which has lots of palace museums (like Pena Palace, featured in Varun Sharma's Inside Luxury Travel on Travel Channel), and staying in (then) affordable 5-star Tivoli Palacio de Seteais in Sintra or Avenida Palace in Lisbon (next to train station to Sintra).

Or go to Amsterdam with it's newly (after 10 years) renovated Rijksmuseum with it's splendid art. that the BBC had a 1-hour programme about.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City break?

Sorry dutchguy but you are so wrong, there are loads of very interesting museums in Madeira for art,photography,history,toys,whale, electricity to name but a few. This site lists, with photos, the majority of museums

www.madeira-live.com/en/madeira-museums.html

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City break?

Wonderful link, Flowercity. Now the Original Posters have something to think about (and me too, for next visits). Thanks !!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City break?

From the sound of your interests on your profile, Funchal would be perfect (as suggested by Flowercity). There is great food and wine, local Atlantic fresh fish - including things I`ve never seen elsewhere, such as Balck Scabbard fish, a fiercesome monster with the most delicate white flesh. Don`t forget the variety of Madeira wine, take a guided tour around Blandy`s wine lodge (right in Funchal centre - history, culture and wine tasting combined).

Funchal city centre is small, compact, very attractive and incredibly clean. No litter, graffitti - the only things I`ve ever seen on the floor are petals from the flowering trees. Many of the streets are pedestrian only, with lovely mosaic tiled patterns on the floor. My husband went to Lisbon last year and commented on how dirty and grimey down it was compared to Funchal and that the food was poor in comparison.

There are LOADS of museums, even though they may be small, they are of good quality. We have enjoyed the photographic museum, the electricity museum, F. de Freitas museum, the Sacred Art museum, the unbelievable collection in the museum of memories, the paintings/sculptures of the Franco brother museum. There are no massive queues or overcrowding - unlike galleries or museums in Paris or Rome where you have to peer at paintings over a crowd of jostling heads - and you get a real sense of the island from the collections.

…madeira-edu.pt/agendacultural/…Default.aspx

Funchal has lovely fresh air, due to its size and proximity to the ocean and you`re not overwhelmed with noise and traffic. You can stroll to the harbour in 5 minutes and get a catamaran trip to see dolphins and whales. Or take a cablecar ride to Monte for amazing views and visit the Tropical Gardens.

I could go on and on. I love Madeira and Funchal. There`s more than enough to occupy you. I would bet that after a long weekend you`ll be straight back onto the internet when you get home to book a proper holiday for next year. That`s what almost everyone seems to do after visit number one!

And by the way - CAKE - well, you`ll be amazed! You could live on cake alone for the weekend and come home more than satisfied. The coffee is also excellent. And the city centre has free wifi zones to use while you enjoy your Portuguese custard tarts and watch the world go by.......

Go and enjoy!

Caroline

Edited: 19 August 2013, 18:00
birmingham uk
Level Contributor
617 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City break?

Thank you everyone. We do like pottering about and eating cakes!

What are the shops like?

I am not fussed about traditional souvenirs , more shoes and costume jewellery.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City break?

Lots of shops, the street for shoe shops is Rua do Saboa, I have never returned from Funchal without purchasing at least one pair of shoes! (or maybe two pairs).

This link will give you some idea of what the City has to offer in the way of shopping.....

www.madeira-web.com/pagesuk/shop-uk.html

Enjoy!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: City break?

Actually I DO think that Funchal is an amazing city, quite unique in many ways.

Many people fall in llove and return very soon and then every year, or more than once a year.

Me 12 times.

If you like modern hotels, the 5-star The Vine, a divine hotel is worth looking into.

Very central, on top of a shopping mall, with rooftop pool, minibar included in price. Read reviews here and on www.booking.com .

Get answers to your questions about Funchal