We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

After our recent visit to Funchal, we often had a walk down to the quayside which is some kind of abandoned relic from years gone by. We eventually found out it was an old Coal Wharf. Ruins of old buildings are still there, together with rusting contraptions. All of it gave the feel that this is the last place you would want to be after dark and that undesirable people would hang out (the place often stank of urine in certain areas) Maybe a proper sign should advise tourists what this area once was as this might make the place feel like someone cares about it's history.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,930 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

So don't go there - there are so many beautiful places in Madeira to explore. There are many eyesore as in any othe Country.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 18:30
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,930 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

It's a reminder of days gone by , sure there are many of them in the UK... It is impossible to remove everything which someone decides in an eyesore,

Edited: 27 August 2013, 18:36
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

You are the first person ever to call it an eyesore.But that is your opinion.

Personally i think it adds a little character to the place.If you look at all the gearings & pulleys you will find they were all made by an English company.

Has to the smell of urine i think you will find that the cats that frequent the area are responsible for that.

If anybody can post any info or a link to the old workings & the history of it all i would be interested to hear.

Rob

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

Is this of interest Rob?

practicalmachinist.com/vb/…

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

....and this.....

Located in between the lido swimming pool and clubhouse Naval do Funchal (that was before Quinta Calaça), is the former Pier Wilson, now known as Cais do Carvão (Coal Wharf). The pier was built in 1903. From here many vapour-vessels passing were supplied with coal on their way through Funchal to America and Africa.

The importance of coal in the development of steam powered machines and the affirmation of Funchal as required warehouse to supply the vessels and operation of sugar mills, forced the assembly of infrastructure support. And so existed the deposits of coal, of which was known as the coal wharf, which was owned by the company Wilson & Co Ltd, where in 2004 the aquarium was build including the the Marine Biology Service Station.

Nowadays it is a forgotten monument, now and then visited by curious travelers and local fishermen. Still these elderly walls have withstand the most fierce storms during the last decades. While the newer walls of few marinas on Madeira have lost their battle against the mighty ocean … the walls of Cais do Carvão are still standing tall.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

These photo may be of interest.......

www.madeirablog.eu/2011/04/06/cais-do-carvao

My husband being an Engineer can never pass by these works without stopping.

madeira-web.com/PagesUK/…santa-luzia.html

He also goes to see the Old Sugar Liquor Factory Site and the Sugar Machine in the Santa Luiza Garden

Edited: 27 August 2013, 22:01
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

Thank you for the very interesting information about this, and I'm really sorry if I've offended anyone calling it an eyesore. Thank you for explaining the urine smell. When we were there the other day, the litter bins were overflowing and numerous bags of rubbish(trash) lined one of the walls. Shame this piece of history seems to be slowly getting forgotten. It does need a tourist sign telling about it.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

Thank you very much Pam & qm.Never thought i would get such interesting replys.

Dont know how you get these fantastic links.

What would we do without the internet now.

Rob

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

Very interesting to say the least passed them but did not really know the history.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cais do Carvao. An Eyesore??

Alison..... I actually think you have a fair point. The area could do with some signs covering the history of the area and it sounds like it needs more attention to keep it as clean as everywhere else in Madeira.

Must admit, I've never thought to walk down there at night but during the day, from the grass verge above, I think it's really pleasant watching the fishermen on the pier and the birds flying in and out of the old walls.

Madeira is spending so much on different projects so extra money is not easily available but maybe the costs of erecting some signs and keeping the area cleaner would not be very high.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal