We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea front work in funchal

chorley lancs
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
sea front work in funchal

I would like to ask how much all this work impacts on the walk along the the seafront views from old town to funchal city? Is it as ugly as it looks on the webviews and do you think it will still be as bad next year? It really worries me about booking for next year,which we were going to do, for our special return for our retirement holiday in 2014 cos that walk was so lovely, and it just wouldnt be the same with views of cranes and diggers and concrete tubes ? any comments greatly appreciated Jules

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea front work in funchal

I do understand your worries about the effects of the seafront works in Funchal .We have been back twice since the construction works commenced and I agree it is ugly at the moment .But there is far more to Madeira than Funchal seafront .It is so easy to ignore the work and enjoy the beauty of the island .This is what we do ,boat trips ,island trips ,cable car to Monte , beautiful gardens ,excellent restaurants ,what more would you want .

When it is completed it will be great .

Nuneaton
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea front work in funchal

Yes it's not a pretty sight , but , its essential work in order to prevent a repeat of the massive problems caused by the floods. Apparently the sea front will be something quite spectacular when finished with beaches etc. .So I for one will visit when it's finished. Meantime there are plenty of other things to do as stated island trips , boat trips all available at reasonable cost

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sea front work in funchal

I would hope that, realistically, the cranes will soon be moving along and the reconstruction calm down by next year (Spring/Summer) the road system is changing rapidly to cater for the work progress and while the barriers may stay for a while, you can still enjoy the area near the Hotel and also towards the East side where the small lido is. I guess the area which many enjoyed walking along towards the pier, will be staying as is for a while, it depends how the work is planned, but there is still a nice walk past the Marina and towards the Beer House , with Santa Catarina Gardens close by, overlooking the harbor.

chorley lancs
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sea front work in funchal

thank you all for your replies - methinks we will wait till 2015 for our next hol to funchal !!! Jules

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea front work in funchal

I think you are wise to wait until 2015. We have come to the same conclusion. Whilst we love Madeira and have visited many times, it is indisputable that the seafront works are an eyesore with no immediate prospect of finishing. We really enjoyed walking along the prom from the Porta Santa Maria Hotel to Santa Catarina Park, and you simple cannot do that at present.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea front work in funchal

I think it is a real shame that people are put off by the works along the seafront in Funchal. There is so much more to Madeira than the Funchal seafront. The Island has spectacular towns and villages to explore and superb walks. To anyone who has doubts, don't be put off, it is a small area which is being redeveloped and the work is progressing rapidly. Discover other areas. many of which have super walks along the seafront, it is not just unique to Funchal to walk seafront areas. Staying in the Lido area or even further West you wouldn't even know they were working on the seafront in Madeira.

chorley lancs
Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea front work in funchal

Hi Steve T

I Know and its a great pity. We stayed at Quinta Bela Sao Tiago 2008, just up from Porto Santa Maria and we loved our holiday staying in the Old Town, but doing the lovely sea front walk to Funchal city. We have not been abroad since, and were so looking forward to going back next year. The climate is perfect for my husband cos it is so temperate, and this was to be our treat for his 65th birthday! Aw well, never mind, will have to wait till 2015, Sigh !! Jules

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sea front work in funchal

I agree with Flowercity . There is far more to Madeira than Funchal seafront .We have visited 4 times , twice since the seafront works commenced and there is no way I will allow the construction works to deter me from visiting again next year .We still have so much more to explore in Madeira .The seafront is just a small part .

The Lido area has a fantastic promenade which allows you to walk all the way to the fishing village of Camara De Lobos ,an absolute delight .

There are fantastic trips up into the mountains or the north coast .Don't be put off by the essential work being done on Funchal seafront to protect the beautiful island of Madeira .

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sea front work in funchal

Whilst I agree that there is much more to Madeira than Funchal seafront I think in the case of jewelsndek they have made the right decision for them. If enjoying a walk along the seafront in Funchal is an important part of their holiday they would be better waiting until they know the date when the works will be completed.

It is a real pity that the works co-incide with your husbands special birthday.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sea front work in funchal

jewelsndek - Sorry you are not able to celebrate your husband's special birthday in Funchal .Just keep an eye on the forums .You never know , work may progress faster than we think .

Wherever you decide to go to next year ,Have a great time .