We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quintinha Sao Joao

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quintinha Sao Joao

Hi,

We're travelling to Madeira in a week time and haven't book any accomodation yet, hotels within our budget include the Quintinha Sao Joao, we are in our mid-thirties, would you advise this hotel or would you suggest the more busy ones on the Estrada Monumental?

Also, it is a long walk to Funchal ? the hotel website mentions a 15mn walk to the city center, does this sound realistic ?

Thank you all in advance for your help, advices

Gwen

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quintinha Sao Joao

I have stayed at Quintinha Sao Joao and can confirm that it's less than a 15 minute walk to the city centre - downhill on the way there, up a steep hill on the return. It's a very nice small hotel, and has featured in the forums quite a bit.

As to whether you should stay there or in one of the hotels on Estrada Monumental, it's a matter of personal taste, really. Visitors to Madeira from the UK tend to be of the more mature sort, and probably that goes for Ireland, too, but there's plenty of nightlife in Funchal. After all, it's a city with a wide cross section of residents, and a university as well.

One of the advantages of Quintinha Sao Joao, in my opinion, is that there is no entertainment, so you have to find your own, whereas the larger hotels tend to provide their own, which is generally fairly low key and often absolutely dire. There are a few exceptions, and Banda D'Alem is one.

I enjoyed my stay at Sao Joao, loved being in the city, and would recommend it, but I know other regulars have their own personal favourites.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quintinha Sao Joao

I have stayed there and found the beds too hard for my liking and comfort. Reaction of the young lady of the staff was that nobody complains about that (so not taking me seriously but hotels never have a top mattrass to put on top). What should absolutely be avoided is a room at garden level , as people in the garden walk by and you have no privacy (others say the same in reviews). Also it is very near a very busy road. It's quite walkable to the centre though, especially when going to the Rua da Carreira (do visit restaurant Londres there) and then to centre through that nice street and there's a Pingo Doce supermarket not far away.

Also, I was near the reception and could hear talking all the time and that was annoying too.

The hotel has improved in some ways and no longer suffers from the construction noise of the opposite hotel building.

I don't have a great memory of this hotel, but find it hard to recommend something else (except Hotel Reid's Palace but expensive).

I stayed in a cheap hotel (Monte Verde) after the very nice new owner ( a lawyer from Santa Cruz) brought me there. It was 30 euro a night with very basic breakfast and the beds were perfect and the interior my style and free intermet PC, but there are dogs near this small hotel. More for those who need something very cheap. It's very close to the adult-only Hotel Savoy Gardens.

Hotel Porto Santa Maria (also adults-only) is recommended by loads of people but is now near construction noise for which that hotel offers 10 euro p.p.p.n compensation in meal vouchers. There's a thread about it. Most people would agree that it only will bother when one stays at hotel pool all day.

You could also look into reviews of hotels like Quinta Penha Franca and Quinta Perestrello, also both quite central. But QSJ might just do fine for you. I think it's the only hotel without any "terrible" votes and the 2-star votes are from the construction noise period.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 18:23
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quintinha Sao Joao

Checking prices at booking.com I see that QSJ would be about 1000 euro for a week. For less than that you could be in 5-star Hotel The Vine ( www.hotelthevine.com ), more central but you'd have to check reviews to see if it's your style and it's on top of a shopping mall. Lots of 4-stars for much less than 1000, but I don't know them. There will be villas for such prices.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quintinha Sao Joao

In stead of hotels there's also such accomodation (but don't know about availability): :

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/madeira/MD275.htm…

5. Re: Quintinha Sao Joao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 14:33
Lancashire
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quintinha Sao Joao

Nice walk down to town, but quite a hike back up, on the plus side they do a nice 'cocktail of the day' ...

Ari

Edited: 18 September 2013, 21:43
7. Re: Quintinha Sao Joao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 05:18