We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eden Mar or the Residence?

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Eden Mar or the Residence?

Pretty much decided on the Porto resort for next July, for our family of 2 adults, 2 children (11,9).

It will be our first visit to Madeira.

Considering either a suite at Eden Mar or a 1-bedroomed apartment at the Residence.

I'm struggling to see what the difference between the two is, despite searching many websites!

So if anyone can help, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,120 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eden Mar or the Residence?

Eden Mar and Residence are part of the same complex which also includes Porto Mare.An excellent chice either way, Residence being the newer of the three but you can use all facilities in all three hotels, which gives you several restaurants, 4/5 pools and good gardens. Also in a very good area for food, shopping, trips, restaurants and a good supermarket underneath Eden Mar, coastal walk on doorstep and great gardens. This is the Porto Bay website where you can read descriptions of the hotels on the one site.

http://www.portobay.com/HotelSpecialOffers

A very good Company, you won't be disappointed whichever you chose. There are also reviews here on TA, click on hotels in the green box at the top and name the hotel you wish to read about.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eden Mar or the Residence?

Hi Sandsy 40 - You have chosen a superb complex for your holiday . We stay in a Junior Suite at the Porto Mare Hotel which is in the central part of the complex ,between the Residence and the Eden Mar .We have recently returned from our 4th visit .I don't think you will be disappointed whichever you choose .I think the apartments in the Residence may provide you with more space .

Your children will love the swimming pools there . Hope you will be pleased with your decision .We cannot keep away .

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eden Mar or the Residence?

PS Sandsy 40 - I am not sure if you are aware that the Residence consists of timeshare appartments .However ,they do let unoccupied apartments but these could possibly be in less popular positions . With the Eden Mar you are more likely to be able to make requests ,such as a high floor for better views .We always e-mail the hotel to request which room we would prefer .

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eden Mar or the Residence?

I have stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment at the Residence and a Junior Suite at Eden Mar, though not a full suite. As has been said you can use the same facilities whichever one you choose. Both provide good accommodation.

The Residence is newer and more modern in style. If I remember correctly the kitchen part of the apartment is slightly better equipped than Eden Mar. Both were comfortable and quite spacious.

This is a lovely complex with nice gardens and swimming pools and I have always found the staff to be helpful and friendly. Porto Bay are a very good company and I hope you will enjoy your stay.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eden Mar or the Residence?

Thanks everyone!

I was leaning towards The Residence, being more modern and having better kitchen facilities.

Then I found a really good deal at The Residence which clinched it!

Just have to hope the room location is OK!

This was my first post on this forum but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions nearer the time!

UK
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eden Mar or the Residence?

Porto Bay is owned by Blandy having sold Reids for £30,000,000.00 years ago-

they spread thir investments and reinvested in above. Rest assured anything to do with Blandy is first class. happy hols Regmaiche

7. Re: Eden Mar or the Residence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Funchal