We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

Just wanted to share to all Travellers in Madeira the full Programme for Xmas & New Year organised by the Tourism Department for the Funchal City Zone

It runs from:

1st December 2013-5 January 2014

The link is here on the special microsite:

www.visitmadeira.pt/fimdoano/index.php…

Vancouver
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

Thank you for posting. Will be in Madiera for month of December and part of January and I look forward to all the festivities. Will definitely save this post.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

pru49

happy to hear that you are coming and looking forward to the festivities. In Funchal and the other cities, towns and villages besides some entertainment, Xmas decorations and lights there are 'Presepios' Nativity scenes. Some are lifesize with real people and animals!

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

I love all the presepios, but my favourite is the one at Curral das Freiras. They've started building it already, the greatest transformation of an underground car park there is!

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

roseandvine

thanks for the tip on visiting the Curral das Freiras Presepio!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

Came in last night after a two day journey. Was very exhausted but so happy to have arrived safely, especially after the flight in from Lisbon. Thought I was not going to see Madeira after all! Even though it was late I saw enough to know that I am going to just fall in love with this island. I am planning on soaking up every experience I can. Where will I see the Presepios nativity scenes you mentioned? Where is the Curral das Presepio?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

The nativity scenes are everywhere, all towns, villages, shopping centres,restaurants and in Funchal City centre itself. I'm not sure if the City centre one has been built yet but if not, it will be soon. Curral das Freiras is better known as Nun's Valley and is visited by local bus or organized trips where you are able to taste the chestnut cake and liqueur which they make from the local chestnut trees

Vancouver
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

Thanks for this info. Will make sure to visit the area.

8. Re: Xmas & New Year Festivity Programme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Funchal