We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

Is it easy to walk into the centre of Funchal from the Pestana Promenade ocean hotel - is the walk along a traffic free walk or would the new road I've read about on this forum be busy ? Are there restaurants in this area ?

Hoping to visit for the flower festival which I believe is held during the first week in May - are there different things going on every day and would this hotel be fairly convenient for the festival ?

Many thanks

AllenGAllenG
Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

Hi

A relatively easy walk into Funchal mostly downhill at the end but I would not recommend the walk back. Takes about 25mins along a quite busy road most of the way. The bus service is very good and stops outside the hotel going into Funchal and nearly opposite on the way back. Get Giro tickets for this it is cheaper (plenty of advice in this respect on forum) The hotel does not operate a courtesy bus service.

There are loads of restaurants in this area and a little research again on this forum will give details.

I believe that the flower festival is around 3-4 May but I have never been to it so I can't help with activities although Funchal usually has lots going on to keep one occupied. As regards convenience of hotel well no as the events mainly take place in Funchal town ( about 2kms) so transport bit above applies.

Good luck and have a lovely trip. See reviews on hotel and Madeira trips etc to get most from your holiday

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel is in a great area of Funchal .I stay three hotels away from the Pestana Promenade .There are hotels in the city but I prefer to be in the Lido promenade area .

The main events of the Flower Festival are the parades on the 3rd and 4th of May .Carpets made from flowers are constructed in the city and there are stalls and entertainment going on .

We went last year and were able to view everything even though we were staying outside the city centre .The local bus service is excellent ,taxis are quite reasonable but the walk into the city is also very pleasant .

Hope you enjoy the wonderful island of Madeira .

Petersfield, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

You didn't consider hiring a car during your stay? On-line rates through brokers (autoeurope, holidayautos etc) start at around EUR12 per day for an small car. We've stayed at the Pestana Promenade three times and always found free on-street parking for our hire car near the hotel. It's no more than a 10 minute drive to the old town - considerably quicker than the 30 minute + walk each way..

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

We also stay at Pestana Promenade regularly and have visited for the Flower Festival before and really enjoyed both. As has been said the main events are Saturday and Sunday and it's well worth going into town for both days especially to see the Children's Parade and the Main Parade. There are also usually smaller flower displays at the airport and at many of the hotels.

Personally although we often hire a car to drive around the island, parking in town can sometimes be quite difficult and we usually leave the car and walk or go by bus.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

We have just come back from the Pestana Promenade and can thoroughly recommend it. It is a fair walk into Funchal - easier going in than coming back as the last half mile or so is downhill on the way in, uphill on the way back. No problem if you are relatively fit. Taxis are quite reasonable at around 6.50 - 7.00 euros one way so if there are three of you it is not much more than the bus. Buses also run regularly - either the yellow buses or the Rodoeste buses. There are plenty of restaurants in the area - we eat at Il Basilico and Brasserie, both a short walk along the promenade and both very good. The service is especially good and one thing we we generally most impressed with in Madeira - how polite everyone was without being obsequious.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 22:51
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
111 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

Its a fairly stiff walk down to the old town from this hotel, we used to have favourite bars to break the journey but as its all downhill its OK but 30 mins+ steady walk, coming back forget it ! get the local bus or a taxi

7. Re: Pestana promenade ocean resort hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 07:18