We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vidamar REsort Hotel, sorm damage?

Level Contributor
47 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Vidamar REsort Hotel, sorm damage?

Considering a holiday to the Vidamar Resort Hotel and notice from a report placed in Dec'13 that following a severe storm there was damage and disruption to the Hotel and surrounding area.

Would appreciate a response from anyone who has stayed there recently or has knowledge of the Hotel and area

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,409 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vidamar REsort Hotel, sorm damage?

The storm damage was to the outdoor pools, which are along the sea edge. I understand that they are being repaired as quickly as possible. The damage didn't affect the rooms and there are indoor pools. You can also ask them by email or phone, if you want a current position of what is happening

Tel: +351 291 717 700

Email: info@madeira.vidamarresorts.com

As the hotel is on the edge, any damage nearby does not impact on every day life as the hotels along the area all have direct sea access and there is not public access in front of them . The main road into the Lido area and into the City is up a short incline on the other side of the hotel away from the sea.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 18:42
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vidamar REsort Hotel, sorm damage?

I visited next-door Cliff Bay and saw their pools and what they have below by the ocean. Nothing was damaged but hardly anybody does anything there this time of year. Just some people in bathrobes by the pool and some swimmers.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vidamar REsort Hotel, sorm damage?

We stayed at the Vidamar over Christmas and there is no damage to the hotel at all, but to one half of the sea platform/pools. They have simply fenced off the damaged part, so you don't really see it when you're down there – this explains why dutchguy might not even have noticed from the hotel next door. If you look at a picture of the pools on booking.com, imagine a fence between the 2 infinity pools; looking towards the sea, the left infinity pool and children's pool are still operational, the right ones are fenced off. The decking between the 2 infinity pools has been removed as well. It didn't really affect our holiday as we did not spend much time at the hotel anyway, but I suppose if you plan to spend your time by the pool it would be a bit of a letdown. We spent about 2 hours by the pool on our last day and had a lush snack at the pool bar - it was fine, and they're working hard to get it sorted. It was really windy that day so we ended up using the indoor pool and the sauna instead, which was enjoyable (the indoor pool has an outside bit as well). The Vidamar is a great hotel and we'll definitely go back, so don't let it put you off unless you were hoping to stay by the pool all day!

A little bit of advice if you decide to go: We only booked a standard room, as a sea view room would have been £350 more with Thomas Cook (Christmas prices!!!). When we got there the hotel offered us a room upgrade for 20€ per day - if that happens to you, consider taking it, or consider booking a sea view room in advance if the price is decent enough. The standard rooms are on the low floors, and you might end up having a rubbish view. I don’t know if would let you look at your room first before deciding, we took the upgrade straight away; we should have been on the 1st floor and ended up on the 6th floor, and the sea view was great! I left the curtains slightly open every night and was woken up by the sun rising over the sea every morning - for me that view from my bed was priceless!!! You also get a bath robe to take home with you, and the Mini bar worth 6€ is free.

I emailed the hotel beforehand and they sent me pictures of the sea platforms. I don’t know how to send pics on here, but you could email them, as Flowercity said?!

4. Re: Vidamar REsort Hotel, sorm damage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Funchal
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor