We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea front works

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
57 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
sea front works

will the sea front works by done by the time the xmas lights are on this year.went last month for the lights.very good for the lights but the works did not help.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea front works

The works should be finished by Summer season, depending on the extent of the Winter weather, which at the moment is good. Obviously, it is desirable to finish asap but weather and sea problems can delay, but the provisional date is around end of May. We just have to wait and see. I didn't see that the works disrupted the lights as much as I expected, but we all have different expectations.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: sea front works

Which hotels are negatively affected by this work. We are thinking of a week end of March and whilst this area seems favourite. I wouldn't want too much building noise early in the morning'!

Thanks

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sea front works

The Porto Santa Maria is the only one near the seafront works . If you read the reviews of that hotel it does not bother many people but a few found the noise very disturbing from 8am onwards .The hotel is giving a 10euros credit per room per day towards food and drink in the hotel as compensation for the disturbance .

Edited: 11 January 2014, 17:53
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sea front works

The work is gradually moving away from the Hotel and the works are definitely not directly in front of the Hotel. I would suggest emailing or phoning them to get an up to date report, but I think you will find that the works will not impact on your holiday. Even if they do, Porto Bay have other excellent hotels and they will be more than happy to move you, subject to availability. Of the last 10 reviews, only two mentioned the work noise, but you must realize that they are progressing all the time and unless you plan to stay at the hotel all day, you will not have your holiday impacted.

http://www.portobay.com/

Edited: 11 January 2014, 19:25
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea front works

I visited this hotel, Porto Santa Maria and walked around the pool and thought this is no place to stay around pool untill the noise is gone and the works ARE still directly in front of hotel, just 30 to 40 meters away , I was there !! I love the Portobay group though. Thats not it. But at this time of year nobody swims there anyway and not much more in March. I guess its OK in the rooms.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea front works

There is currently a loan digger working directly in front of the Porto Santa Maria Hotel finishing off the levelling of the new beach - looks like it will be finished this week, and not too intrusive. I can't imagine the 10 euros per room per day given to hotel guests going on for much longer. The seafront works further along continue and are noisy when you're close by, but there are no other hotels in that area.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea front works

I agree roseandvine , I am sure the 10 euro credit per room will stop soon Up until recently they were giving 10 euro per person .When that changed I thought the works must be less intrusive .

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: sea front works

Hi is you knowledge sourced locally in Funchal or is it based on a subjective view. I have read on a Funchal blog that only 60% of the work is completed due to financial pressures. I will be in Funchal in August for the 7th consecutive year with my relatives from Australia and it would be great to to think all will be completed. Thanks Lyn

9. Re: sea front works

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 10:05
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sea front works

My comments are based on spending a couple of weeks every 2 months in Funchal - eastern side by The Old Town. Returned from my latest trip 2 weeks ago, when they were still working on the new beach in front of The Porto Santa Maria Hotel, but not making much noise. Further along there was still a lot of work going on, noisy and dusty but slightly better than it had been.

I believe the whole project was supposed to take 2 years and it started in September 2012, so unlikely to be finished by August, but you never know. Have they run out of money? Who knows - always lots of rumours doing the rounds in Funchal, but if you're staying in The Tourist Zone the seafront works won't affect you too much. Up there it's the new road layout works!

Get answers to your questions about Funchal