We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Questions about Funchal

Chester
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
More Questions about Funchal

Hi,

As we have never been to Madeira we stated looking what to do where to go but it looks like we will have enough to do in Funchal to fill the week.

I have read about the Monte Tropical gardens but any idea what price and is 2 - 3 hours enough time.

Monte municipal gardens , Monte Palace gardens and Botanical gardens, are these 3 separate gardens or are people just using different names for them.

How much time for each garden and what price?

Can you buy water and get something to eat if we make a day of it at that level.

What would your must see 3 things be in Funchal?

I now realise booking only a week was a mistake but it will be a nice introduction to Madeira.

Do I have this correct that the gardens are at the midway point on the cable car and if that is correct what is at the top station?

Thanks,

Keith.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More Questions about Funchal

The three gardens you mention are separate and quite distinctive. The gardens at Monte are at the top of the cable car, the municipal gardens are free and are pleasant to stroll round. The Tropical Gardens are much larger and really quite fabulous, however the cafe there isn't very good, so I would suggest you either take a picnic or eat at one of the cafes at Monte.

The Botanical Gardens are at Bom Successo, and you get there by cable car or on foot across the valley - about an hour and a half - from Monte, or by bus from the city. Again, best to take your own lunch, but there is a very nice cafe at Babosas at the Botanical Gardens cable car station with lovely views.

Things to do in Funchal - well it depends what you like doing. The city council website has a few itinerary ideas (CM Funchal). Walking round the city has to be a top priority, a wine tour at Blandys to see what distinguishes Madeira wine from other 'generous wines,' coffee at The Golden Gate people watching, cocktails at Reids, all very Madeiran. Yes, I know that's more than 3 things, but the list really is endless. Enjoy.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Questions about Funchal

Keith - Firstly ,there is no midway point as such . There is a second cable car to the Botanical Gardens but this takes you over a valley .

There are three gardens - 1. the Tropical Palace Gardens near the exit of the cablecar station ( ?10 euros entry fee ) , 2. The Municipal Gardens in the village ( very small ,free entry ), 3. The Botanical Gardens ,turn right out of the cablecar station and walk towards the second cablecar which is a short ride over the valley .Each of the gardens have a café .

It may be possible to do it all in a day but it would be rushed .

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Questions about Funchal

Hi Keith, the Cable car runs from Funchal directly to Monte. When you come off the Cable car the entrance to Monte Palace Tropical gardens is immediately To your left(looking uphill.) if you pass the entrance and keep walking left, you will come to where the Toboggans set off. Follow the path round and you will come to the village square in Monte with cafe's etc if you want Water, something to eat. The Monte Municipal gardens are just below the square. The Church at Monte is worth a visit. Last time I was there entry was 10 euros. At the top of the gardens there are 2 buildings housing African art ang gem stones/ crystals which are included in the entry price. I can easily spend 3 hours there. Not sure if it is still there but there was a buggy at the lake in the garden to drive you back up to the entrance at the end of your visit(extra charge.) as said the cafe is not great, but, your entrance fee includes a glass of Madeira wine in the cafe.

After your visit pass by the Cable Car entrance in the opposite direction and this will take you to the second Cable car which will take you from Monte to the Botanic Gardens. At the Cable Car station in Funchal you can buy various different tickets , cable car only, cable car and gardens etc. I believe entry to the Botanic gardens is 5 euros per person. Both in 1 day would be too much for me.

3 must see things for me, in no particular order, the market on a Friday morning, the painted doors in the old town and sitting under the big, old tree in the Municipal Gardens, watching the world go by. Plus many more.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Questions about Funchal

Thanks,

it is now becoming a bit clearer, I think we will try the Tropical gardens and a wander around Monte and if enough time the municipal gardens on 1 day.

From what I can see Tuesdays and Sundays look like the days the cruise ships are in port so I will miss the cable car on those days, I am sure my wife will want to sunbathe around the pool.

Thanks,

Keith.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Questions about Funchal

Keith - Am I correct in thinking that you have booked your holiday for July ? According to the Port calendar there are only 2 cruise ships arriving in July ,on the 21st and the 30th . Each month varies but the greater number of cruise ships arrive during the Winter months .

I think you would be wise to just do the Tropical Palace Gardens and a walk about in Monte .There is a nice café in the little square in Monte near the bandstand . Also ,the one near the cablecar station has some great views .

Don't forget about the gardens in the city ,Santa Catarina Park overlooking the harbour and the Municiple Gardens on Avenida Arriaga .

One activity we do on every visit to Funchal is the whale and dolphin watching trip.( 3 hours )

Edited: 19 March 2014, 15:48
Chester
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More Questions about Funchal

Hi Mike,

thanks for that, I think I will have too much to see in one week. Looks like we will miss the cruise ships which is good. I would like to do the whale trip but I am always sea sick so unless they can almost guarantee seeing some whales I will give it a miss.

Keith.

7. Re: More Questions about Funchal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Funchal