We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

I'm taking my mother to this garden this year and I don't want to use the Cable Car again (glad I did it; my heart survived, but do not wish to do it again). How do I get there by bus? (Where do I catch the bus? We'll be staying in Lido area).

Thanks.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

The number 48 bus from the top road in the Lido area goes to Monte

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

Just had a thought .There are road works on the top road so am not sure if it leaves from the road by Porto Mare/ Melia Mare Hotels .

Edited: 20 March 2014, 19:24
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

The 48 leaves from the stops outside Pestana Promenade, Porto Mare and the bus stop past the bridge, to mention a few

This link takes you to the timetable and there is also a timetable on the stops. Remember that the times shown are the ones of the starting point so it will be a short while getting to the Lido area. It will return to those stops on the return journey.

http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/carreiras/48.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

Thank you. That's all very helpful.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

And it is quite a journey too! More like a helter skelter than a bus journey. Enjoy and hold on tight!

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

Anyone know where the bus for Monte now leaves from in town, bearing in mind the seafront disruption? Last year I found a new temporary stop - I think halfway up Rua 31 Janeiro - but haven't been able to find it since! We've been going up to Monte on the Babosas bus which leaves from Pinga and walking across, which is fine, but I'm curious to know where the disappearing bus stop is.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

2 months ago the buses 20 and 21 left from opposite the large yellow with red building with big tower, on 31 Janeiro. I needed it to get to the B&B I was staying, www.villasmadeira.com

Edited: 21 March 2014, 09:32
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

Thanks for that Dutchguy - I think the building to which you refer is The Madeira Wine Institute, which means the bus stop is slightly higher up than the one I found earlier, and possibly in the parallel road. How long it will remain there is anyone's guess, but I'll give it a try.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

The yellow building I mean is the Instituto do Vinho de Madeira,

cyberroach.com/madeira_v300/winewalk/winewal…

Edited: 21 March 2014, 09:42
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Monte Tropical Gardens by Bus

The bus stops will still be there.You can't miss it as it is always crowded with waiting passengers.

There is electronic indication of how long it takes for a bus to leave. It is indeed higher up than I had thought.