We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBC & ITV in Madeira

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
BBC & ITV in Madeira

Pestana tell me that satellite transmission to Madeira has changed and BBC & ITV are not presently available. We don't tend to watch much TV when on holiday, apart from keeping up with the news, but ardent soap fans might be affected.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

The satellite has ben moved but many places can still get the signal which is now further away.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,916 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

Most people on the mainland have found various ways of watching using internet streams etc. If the hotels can be bothered, there will be a way.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

Like you Phil, apart from keeping up to date with the news, I don't tend to watch much television on holiday. That said, as there's a TV in the room it seems worthwhile being able to get the channels of most interest. I'm curious to know if other hotels in Funchal are able to get BBC & ITV at the moment?

Edited: 15 April 2014, 13:35
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

It isn't just the Pestana Hotels that have lost the UK channels . This was reported here in early February and involved most of southern Europe due to a change of location of the satellite

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

In all of my trips to Madeira (staying in the Pestana Grand, Riu Palace & Melia Madeira) I have not received BBC or ITV. I received BBC & ITV in the hotel room in Majorica last week.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

Mike: Yes, I can remember that being reported a while back but I wasn't sure if any if the hotels had found a way round it.

WT: I think that was the case for most hotels going back a few years. I can only speak these days for the Promenade but they had BBC, ITV etc I think since they first opened.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

Like Phil we recently received an e-mail from Pestana regarding loss of BBC & ITV services. But we first experienced this back in late January/early February when we were staying at the Carlton Madeira and some BBC services disappeared overnight.

We tackled the management and were told this was because there had been a service change and Pestana's supplier of TV feeds could no longer supply. However, it appears it's a wider problem but, as others have said, there must be a way round it.

Sorry for recent absence from this Forum - due to house move and delay in getting back online.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 15:56
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

We stayed at the Vidamar Resort end of February and we had no problem watching BBC World News and BBC Entertainment, I have never seen ITV channels at this hotel. I was surprised when one subsequent reviewer said they couldn't find any English speaking channels, there is also CNN news and a few American channels like Fox etc which are subtitled and not dubbed; that's if your tastes run to endless CSI episodes or second rate films! Go out for a walk instead.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

You used to get BBC1 and BBC2 plus ITV at the Cliff bay but remember a review where some one staying at another Porto Bay hotel said they had vanished there so suspect same will apply.However dont watch much T.V like others just follow the news so wont effect me much.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,808 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BBC & ITV in Madeira

I remember the first time we stayed at the Cliff Bay I was able to keep up with Strictly Come Dancing while getting ready to go out in the evening. It was great.

Get answers to your questions about Funchal