We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

4 posts
Save Topic
Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

I am planning to take the No. 81 bus to Lombo Chao, then walk to Boca das Namorados, in about two weeks' time. Does anyone know about the condition of this track?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

I did it once, down from Boca dos Namorados.

I don't think many do it stilll. Rother does not have it and Sunflower books took it out of their book a long time ago, replacing it with the much nicer walk down from www.Eiradoserrado.com .

Someone got killed on the walk down from Boca dos Namorados.

It is steep in places, especially down by Lombo Chao.

Normally speaking you can still do it, but if nobody walks it anymore, it could be overgrown. I'lll have a look if my other books still have it.

It may be of interest to you that there is a new road from (very near) Eira do Serrado to Pico do Areeiro. I walked most part of it. It's about 10 km.

Towards end of that road (from Eira) therr's a road to the right, going to Funchal, Trapiche, from where there's a bus down every 1/2 hour. The sign soes not say it's to Funchal, but "transito local". It's very steep and therefore can be dangerous for cars, but not hikers of course, and as hardly anyone knows it, it is very very quiet, with great views.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

I was mistaken in saying it's not in the Rother guide. They call it Corticeiras into Nun's Valley and it is in part on the internet in the book by Paddy Dillon, Walking in Madeira. In any case it is quite steep. When I did it down from Boca, I remember I was thinking I would not like to do it climbing up. And the fact that someone got killed shows it requires great care, but views are great.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

THIS is what was written here in 2008, see at bottom about the fatal accident from Boca das Namorados .

It is said that it can happen to anyone because the path was no longer maintained.

Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 11, 2008, 7:42 PM

Sadly our beautiful and awe inspiring levadas have claimed another life. This is about the fifth one this year. This time it was at the popular Levada dos Piornais, and it is not the first time people have fallen to their death on this particular walk. The victim was a 61 year old Belgian woman.

Two weeks ago a tourist fell on Ribeiro Frio - Portela walk. One of the rescuers fell, while trying to get to her, and is still in a critical condition.

I have on previous posts warned of the dangers of people going off to do these walks on their own with just a guide book. The friend of the latest victim told reporters that they where doing these walks using one of these guide books.

PLEASE, people, DO NOT ATTEMPT, trying to do any of these walks on your own. I don't think ones life is worth the risk. You are far better off spending a little more and doing the walks under professional supervision.

There are plenty of qualified companies to choose from that will take you out to a number of different walks all over the island, with a qualified guide. as the saying goes "RATHER SAFE, THAN SORRY".

Report inappropriate content dutchguy

The Hague, The...

reviews: 91Save this Post

2. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 12, 2008, 6:06 AM

Thank you for this sad information, In the past I also have heard of various fatal accidents, even at places (Rabacal) where I thought that to be not possible. And about the Piornais I had heard it before (a young man) and can imagine how and where, as I had to return once at a point where it got dangerous whereas I had done in the past twice this entire levada from Curral das Freiras to Funchal and last time I met a Madeira couple who had done this when I met them at the Curral end, but it is often for experts only and can be very different depending on rainfall, landslides and other changeable factors. I will not advice new walkers anymore to do it without guide.

Report inappropriate content dedinburgh

Edinburgh, Scotland

reviews: 5Save this Post

3. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 14, 2008, 4:56 AM

It is always unfortunate when there is an accident but you must remember that no outdoor activity is 100% safe. There is always an element of risk and walking with a guide does not eliminate that risk. You can still fall or have accident with a guide.

Many people go to Madeira for the outdoors and a large number of those are very experienced and do not need to be preached at. However, many are novices and just like in their own country they would be advised to be very careful about which outdoor activities they tackle.

Flowercity makes the point "I have often been accused of inflating the dangers to sell experienced guided tours" unfortunately that can be the impression given. If you wish to improve safety on the island then please continue to promote the guiding companies to those that need them but you should recognise that many of your visitors are suitably experienced and well capable of assessing the risks.

In Scotland we average about 30 to 40 fatalities on our mountains every year. Our mountain rescue teams do not call for restrictions on access or professional guides instead they encourage people to take to the mountains but advise everyone to be properly equipped and only take on routes that match their level of competence. I am in my mid-50's and had a lifetime of mountain walking in many places, so I know what my level of experience is.

Lastly, please remember that this is an open forum for travelers to seek and give advice to other travelers so there will always be the occasion when you may not agree with everything that is written.

Report inappropriate content Patricia P

Warwick, United...

reviews: 33Save this Post

4. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 17, 2008, 5:37 AM

Thank you, Madmara1966, for pointing out the dangers of levada walking.

We will be visiting Madeira next month and had planned on doing one or two of the "easier" levada walks (using the Walk and Eat Madeira book), and would be interested to hear if these are considered safe enough without a guide. One which we were considering is the walk from Monte to one of the tea gardens, via Levada Dos Tornos (missing out the vertiginous section), and I would be grateful if anyone could tell me whether this would be considered safe or would we be better to go on one of the guided walks.

Many thanks.

The Hague, The...

5. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 17, 2008, 11:15 AM

The tea house walk is really easy, if you miss out indeed on the dangerous part of the levada in the beginning. It is a very popular walk. It first descends from the Babosas balcony (just after the cable car station), then ascends to the village Romeiros and continues easily. No problematic parts of this walk, it can hardly get easier than this one. I have no problem recommending THIS walk for beginners, as long as one is sure-footed. You will find out yourself. If you don't like it, it is easy to return and get back to Funchal and there are buses back from these tea houses. Beyond these 2 tea houses one always needed a flash light for a tunnel before reaching Camacha.

The Hague, The...

6. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 17, 2008, 11:21 AM

P.S. DO also do some of the organised walks, as it is always nice to go with other people, one gets picked up and brought back to hotel at convenient times and www.madeira-levada-walks.com offered 2 free drinks in bars on the way always (don't know if still) and use of a wooden walking stick that could be bought for 5 Euro.

Report inappropriate content Patricia P

Warwick, United...

reviews: 33Save this Post

7. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 17, 2008, 1:41 PM

Thank you very much, dutchguy. We will definitely do the easy walk by ourselves, and then maybe a more challenging one with an organised group. Thanks for your advice.

Report inappropriate content slewi

Cardiff, United...

reviews: 17Save this Post

8. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 18, 2008, 4:51 AM

We did the West tour last week, where there was only a twenty minute walk and a Lady fell in front of us.She tumbled down into some gorse bush. This is not to say there was any difficulty to the walk. But remember with beautiful scenery all around, you have still got to remember where to put your feet. We've all seen people trip over the curb in town.

The Hague, The...

9. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 18, 2008, 5:35 AM

Actually this last message is quite to the point: paths are usually very narrow and it often is not possible to admire the view and walk safely at the same time, so one has to walk slowly and watch your feet and stand still to admire views. It is also rarely possible to walk next to someone and talking and walking is often also not too wise.

Report inappropriate content celeste67

London

reviews: 2Save this Post 10. Re: Levadas claim yet another life !!!

Jun 28, 2008, 2:18 PM

ok, you can say everything you want, with or without guide. My partner died tragically and violently on May 7 2008 during the walk Boca dos Namorados to Curral das Freiras. I appointed a guide after her death to understand how it could happen and she told me he could have happened to anybody else because the walk was not maintained anylonger! and the walk was in our both books. My partner is died and walks in Madeira are still unsafe. I am devastated...

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

Thanks, Mr Dutchguy. Clearly, a track to be avoided. The new road from Eira to Pico do Arieiro, and down to Trapiche, looks very interesting. How far from Arieiro is the road to Trapiche? Is there a map available?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

The road from Areiro to Trapiche is not on any map, as far as I know.

I think it is about 9 km, but very quiet one, undisturbed by traffic.

The road to Eira starts about 1 km down from Arieiro, then after about 2 km is the road to the left (transito local), then 6 km (which I had measured by the taxi driver when I took that road down).

Next time I am going to walk this myself.

Down in Trapiche is bus 91, which are trucks converted to buses because of the steepness of the roads. About every half hour.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 15:55
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

Thanks again, Mr Dutchguy. After your last post, I am thinking of walking in the opposite direction to which you mentioned, as I want to use public transport as much as possible. Does the 81 bus stop at the junction, or is it necessary to walk from Eira? Also did you mean bus 90 from Trapiche, as there is no 91 shown on the timetable?

Another, unrelated, question. I was thinking of doing the PR7 Levada do Moinho walk from near Santa to the source of the levada. Is it possible to head west from there, to link with the Levada do Pedregal to Ribeira da Vaca and Ponta do Pargo? Or is there a better way of spending nearly 5 hours in the vicinity of Porto Moniz?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

The road from Eira to Areeiro starts quite close to Eira do Serrado, so one has to take to bus 81 to Eira (or to Curral and then get off at the tunnel and then walk 20 minutes) and then walk back to that road.

The bus to Trapiche, I would swear it's 91 but the timetables mention only 90.

In any case it is the bus to Curral Velho. That brandnew road is not on any online map yet.

I dont know the Levada do Moinho (on a map you should find if it connects with the long Ponta do Pargo levada) but from Santa is my favourite Madeira levada, the Levada da Central da Ribeira da Janela. it is in most books like Sunflower.

I once walked it , down from Galhano on the road from Rabacal to Porto Moniz

(google Galhano), 800 meters down to that levada, then through 6 or 7 tunnels.

If you take a flashlight you can do that,if you have time, at least till a nice waterfalll over the levada (after 3rd or 4th tunnel). The Sunflowerr walk returns at first tunnel. This is a map of it: www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

Google for more info.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

It's indeed bus 90 as I just read in an email I sent to somebody about it, but the one to Curral Velho.

9. Re: Track from Lombo Chao to Boca das Namorados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Funchal